Plastic to fabric. Whats the best glue to use?

I decided to attempt to make a canvas belt for my TK rig and I was wondering what the best glue to use when gluing duck cloth to abs. Would the regular plastic welder glue work or would I need something else? If all else fails I can pick up a belt here on the forum, but before that I thought I would try my luck at making one of these first. Thanks in advance.

_Thayne

You know what I did for my canvas belt...I'll tell yah ^_^ . Painters grade drop clothes (Home Depot...Lowes). Cut it to length and folded it about 3-4 times and bleached it. Came out nice and white. Just have to sew the seams and I'm done.

As for gluing it, why not use the snap system? Just a thought...

Cheers...

DD.

You know what I did for my canvas belt...I'll tell yah ^_^ . Painters grade drop clothes (Home Depot...Lowes). Cut it to length and folded it about 3-4 times and bleached it. Came out nice and white. Just have to sew the seams and I'm done.

As for gluing it, why not use the snap system? Just a thought...

Cheers...

DD.

I am gluing a piece of ABS to the inner part of the belt so I can rivet the holster to it directly. I was going to try and stay away from snaps for this particular application. I am constantly putting my E-11 into my holster at events and I want the holster to still have its load bearing capabilities. I think snaps might not work as well and might come undone with my E-11 constantly being taken and put back in.

Thayne you also might want to try Indusrial strength velcro too for the canvas-to-ABS connection. I made my son's canvas belt and used a combo of snaps and IS velcro (the snaps came undone so I added the velcro too). Also, the canvas belt is a 1 piece type that completely surrounds the torso of the trooper and the ABS front of the belt just attaches on top of that via snaps and velcro. I also added a stiffener inside the belt where the holster attaches. Be sure to curve it to your body too so it blends in well. Lastly, I added some velcro to the back inside of the belt in the back and opposite that on the armor back piece so it doesn't slide down.

Good luck!

Don G.

My belt has a layer of what is called "plastic canvas" running inside the material to stiffen it and strengthen it. It's basically a plastic criss cross patern with about 1/8" or 1/16" holes in it. It's used in knitting and crocheting and can be found at JoAnns or maybe Wal-Mart.

Paul and Don thanks for the suggestions. I will be trying to tackle this tonight and finish up the last little bits to get elite status.

I am gluing a piece of ABS to the inner part of the belt so I can rivet the holster to it directly. I was going to try and stay away from snaps for this particular application. I am constantly putting my E-11 into my holster at events and I want the holster to still have its load bearing capabilities. I think snaps might not work as well and might come undone with my E-11 constantly being taken and put back in.

Sorry misunderstood. Thought you meant attaching the canvas belt to the front ammo box ABS belt.

Sorry misunderstood. Thought you meant attaching the canvas belt to the front ammo box ABS belt.

No worries.

Somewhat related to this, what is a good glue to use for attaching elastic straps to ABS, specifically in regards to the handplates. I would like to keep things thin and simple on the hand since the FX plates are kinda large to begin with.

I sewed some industrial strength velcro to the elastic straps and put some velcro on the underside of my hand plates and it works fine. I just slide my hand through the openings and the plates just rest on top of my gloves.