Gaskets: How shiny is shiny enough?

Coil

For my TFA build I think I want to go with a non-rubber gasket solution. The Anovos gaskets just feel bad and I know that the Imperial gaskets are much better. They are still rubber and I just feel that cloth will be much more comfortable in the long run.

I am in line for cloth gaskets from Imperial but given the waiting time I am considering doing my own (high probability of me messing things up though).

One question is fabric choice.

The CRL states:

Gaskets shall be rubber or a shiny black material with ridges

The question is how shiny is shiny enough?

I went looking at fabrics with the girlfriend yesterday and it seems that the shiniest options are quite fragile and wouldn't be very washable according to her. In the shiniest fabrics the surface is glued on which is more likely to crack and fall off when washed. There is a lot of wear and stress placed on something that will rub up against the rest of the kit and the inevitable sweat of trooping.

I found a black bathing suit fabric which is stretchy and nice and sort of shiny. So would Under Armor shirt level of shiny be ok?

Obviously it will depend on light setting etc. The pic may not accurately reflect the fabric.

tkdks9U.jpg

There is obviously a balance between shine, durability and washability. Question is just where?

Edited by gmrhodes13
photos updated gmrhodes13 2021

I've used a lot of different "shiny" material when making neckseals and my first run of cloth gaskets. As long as it has a sheen to it, it should be fine. Underarmuor has a rubbery sheen to it.

Sorry about the wait time for gaskets, but I promise they're worth it.

Edited by TK4205

I understand that it takes time and skill to make them and considering that you need 6 per armor it will take time. Maybe Mrs Tk should increase the price to cope with the demand. I know I would pay more to get them earlier. :)<br><br>

I will make an attempt and se If I can get a decent result but will definitely want to stay on the waiting list for a higher quality set.