Redoing my old ANH Stormtrooper helmet

Hello guys, my first post over here :)

Back in 2012 I decided I wanted to build a Stormtrooper helmet, ANH style. I did it for a school project with a deadline, so I rushed it a little.

Its based off the pepakura file from SpaceCowboy. With the typical Resin/fiberglass/bondo technique I achieved an okay-ish helmet. I even made a mold and casted some helmets to give to friends etc.

You can check my progress back then here (please ignore the 9gag watermark. I posted it there and lost the file over the years. Only place I found it again :D)

http://i.imgur.com/B6267za.jpg

So 3 years later now I decided to redo the helmet. I took a finished cast, stripped all the paint and stickers (I painted the helmet black and then chrome, put stickers on it etc.).

Then again the typical bondo/sanding procedure.

The photos are in chronological order.

93hi787w.jpg  q97ds2k8.jpg  okqfhxvd.jpg

5mc35laq.jpg

vsu8ta8d.jpg

sxtnttmz.jpg

Here I marked everything I have to do besides general smoothness and proportions.

• Completely remove and remodel/reattach the ears + maybe 3D print the antenna

• Fill and re-cut the rectangles/tears

• Vocoder completely new + Mic tip (maybe 3d printed too) holes

• Eye shape

• Frown

lepdmpkq.jpg

Here I cut out some areas in order to redo them. 

And here's what I have so far. I dont have much time at the moment, so updates will take a while :)

ce7xqbnl.jpg  4uzf73td.jpg

I appreciate any comments, criticism and tips and tricks !

Thank you!

Edited by theorder

Thanks for the answer.

I will do it as accurately as I can. My goal is to get it 501st approved, but that's a loooong way :D

I'll be pretty honest, you get helmets with almost every TK armour kits. The work you'd have to do to get it approved; you're probably better off getting a helmet with a kit and leaving this as a project.

The ears would need to be separate pieces, preferably with small gaps. Etc.

Just my two cents. There's nothing stopping you from trying though! Pep is a difficult thing to do properly! I admire that you've even got this far with it!

Edited by C0bra_M3nace

I'll be pretty honest, you get helmets with almost every TK armour kits. The work you'd have to do to get it approved; you're probably better off getting a helmet with a kit and leaving this as a project.

The ears would need to be separate pieces, preferably with small gaps. Etc.

Just my two cents. There's nothing stopping you from trying though! Pep is a difficult thing to do properly! I admire that you've even got this far with it!

Thanks for your thoughts!

Iam very aware that it would be waaaaay cheaper just buying a bucket... I like to build things, and this was my first ever piece i built and redoing it is kind of what I really want to do :)

Do the ears NEED to be seperate? I planned to put them on permanently and cut off some screw heads to put them in the ears to achieve the 'screwed on' look...

Thanks for your thoughts!

Iam very aware that it would be waaaaay cheaper just buying a bucket... I like to build things, and this was my first ever piece i built and redoing it is kind of what I really want to do :)

Do the ears NEED to be seperate? I planned to put them on permanently and cut off some screw heads to put them in the ears to achieve the 'screwed on' look...

As far as I know, yeah, the ears do need to be separate or appear separate.

I'm sure someone will chime in to correct me if I'm wrong but a fellow trooper has a very nice resin helmet that is not approvable because it's a one piece mold. Makes a wicked display piece though.

But my goodness don't stop doing this! I just wanted to throw out there that if you're planning on going 501st; you'll want a TK kit from AP or RSProps or others. You'll get a helmet from those kits and it will be much less work to get it 501st. It will be plastic as well and you'll have less of a chance to drop it and crack the bondo or worse.

Again! Don't stop! I love watching pep files grow into awesome looking pieces. I wish I had the talent to do it. I've tried, and failed miserably.

Edited by C0bra_M3nace
  • Like 1