Thermoelectric Cooling Moduels

I just stumbled across these while looking for some other electronics.....

Originally intended for 12Vdc use in picnic and automotive coolers/heaters, I thought they might be an ideal way to cool helmets.

I don't really know all that much about them, but if I can figure out how to cool the hot side, I might try to mount one in my TK bucket as a mini air conditioner.

-----

6mv2Cm2.jpg

Off to do more research.

Edited by gmrhodes13
link not working, removed gmrhodes13 2020

Kahler TK-8029 said:

I just stumbled across these while looking for some other electronics.....

Originally intended for 12Vdc use in picnic and automotive coolers/heaters, I thought they might be an ideal way to cool helmets.

I don't really know all that much about them, but if I can figure out how to cool the hot side, I might try to mount one in my TK bucket as a mini air conditioner.

-----

Off to do more research.

I've thought about Peltier's and TEC units, but I'm unsure of the voltage and amps that would be required to maintain

the steady performance. A single 9v battery may not be enough.

If you do try this, please share your results!

Good luck!

Edited by gmrhodes13

I use them in astrophotography to cool my CCD chips to eliminate dark current noise for long exposures. -----

These things pull whatever they can get, so the bigger the battery the longer the run time and the colder the temp. Efficiency of the units to cool is solely dependant on how well you can eliminate heat from the hot side. Unless you have an efficient heatsink (fan heatsink) on the hot side it will saturate and the cool side will become warm, not to mention I've seen an undercooled unit (read, no heatsink) desolder all its junctions and fall apart. Another tip I can offer is to silicone seal all the exposed edges on the peltier where you can see the junctions. This prevents internal condensation between the junctions which causes a drop in efficiency.

Mark

Sorry, I'm like an encylopedia of useless knowledge so whenever any of it can be used I offer it up. It's a side effect of being involved in WAY too many hobbies. So far I enjoy SW costuming the most. I'm involved in amateur astronomy, amateur radio (Extra class), and Jeeping (still have my built up Jeep).

Edited by gmrhodes13