DarthColejoy's ANH Stunt TK Build using Anovos

So I spent the rest of the day preparing for the Armour Party tomorrow. After I re-glued the thighs I moved onto the TD. I sanded the ends and was able to get the caps on without having to go through the hot water bath treatment. So with the caps on I also glued the cover plate so that I can drill the hols for the clips tomorrow.

image_2_6.jpeg

image_1_8.jpeg

Once the TD was done I sanded and prepped the shoulder bells and than had guards:

image_4_3.jpeg

After these I moved onto the torso pieces. Firstly I gave them a double sanding. Once with the thick/harsh sandpaper to get rid of any harsh edges or bumps. Then once again with the fine sandpaper to give it a nice edge. They don't look 100% yet because the cover plastic is still on and that is a little frayed at the end but once I am ready I will remove that and then give it a final sanding again. Once the drilling and everything has been done.

So as well as sanding the torso pieces I also prepped for a basic fitting of the torso tomorrow. So I glued the shoulder straps, glued the snaps that came mounted not he abs plate (this is for the thigh pieces to eventually be hooked to) and then put on the velcro strapping inside the chest, abs, kidney and back plates. This will allow me to do a fitting tomorrow. Here are the inside of the torso pieces:

image_5_3.jpeg

image_6_1.jpeg

So that meant I have done everything I can until I do a fit of the arms & legs, as well as thew torso. And then drill the holes needed for the various snaps, rivets and TD clips. I will drill and fit tomorrow and then be able to work on this early next week while I am still on holidays.

Box is packed ready for armour party tomorrow:

image_7_1.jpeg

So I feel the build is coming along quite nicely. Unfortunately my blaster is still lost somewhere and Australia Post are being less than helpful. I am worried that my build will be done and I won't have my blaster :(

ANOVOS should be sending the soft parts - undersuit and gloves in the next week ready for me to start those proper testing fittings.

Coming along nicely!

One thing you might want to do is chamfer the corners of the cover strips. Currently they're cut off square. Screen-used armor just nipped 45 degree cuts at the corners to round them off.

gallery_12157_59_38956.jpg

And just for the record, while you're not there yet, eventually you're going to want to take down a LOT more of the return edge on the hand plates. About 5mm all the way around seems to be the most popular configuration. Also good to curve the front and wrist edges a bit to follow the body's natural curve.

Big day today! I borrowed a drill and was able to work through the torso pieces and drill holes for all the snaps, rivets and various strapping parts on the torso as well as the TD.

First up was to put the snaps on the chest plate ready for the belt to connect. First marking the holes. I went with fellow white armour builder UKWraith's build rather than the Anovos supplied instructions. The Anovos instructions puts the belt exactly centre whereas the screen belts are just slightly off centre. The first thing was to measure and drill the holes:

Drill%20Day%20-%201.jpg

Drill%20Day%20-%202.jpg

Drill%20Day%20-%203.jpg

Next up was putting the two male snaps at the bottom of the codpiece of the buttock plate and also the rivet for the codpiece on the front:

Drill%20Day%20-%204.jpg

Drill%20Day%20-%205.jpg

Drill%20Day%20-%206.jpg

Drill%20Day%20-%207.jpg

Next up was the TD. To drill the holes and attach the clamps. I chose the 3.5mm drill but which is what the Anovos instructions suggested. Measured the holes and drilled them out.

Drill%20Day%20-%208.jpg

Unfortunately the instructions were wrong and the holes are the same size as the screws supplied so I will need to replace the screws with ones that are slightly bigger. The ones supplied by Anovos are not fully screen accurate anyway because they are phillips head and the ones should be pan-head and slightly rounded top. I will go to bunnings tomorrow and see if I can find some.

Next up was the rivets for the right size of the chest plate and abdomen/kidney. I used UKWraith's measurements again because the Anovos ones are not really screen accurate. I measured 10mm in from the sides and then about 10mm in from top and bottom and then the centre was simply measured as half the distance. I then did this on both sides and made sure they aligned properly.

Drill%20Day%20-%209.jpg

Drill%20Day%20-%2010.jpg

Drill%20Day%20-%2011.jpg

From there I then used the supplied strapping from Anovos. I punched holes 10mm from the end and then 20mm apart. Three straps where prepared and then attached using the supplied rivets:

Drill%20Day%20-%2012.jpg

Drill%20Day%20-%2013.jpg

Drill%20Day%20-%2014.jpg

Drill%20Day%20-%2015.jpg

Next step was the male snap in the upper right of the chest plate:

Drill%20Day%20-%2016.jpg

Drill%20Day%20-%2017.jpg

Here is the chest plate and abdomen with all of the rivets and strapping and snaps completed:

Drill%20Day%20-%2018.jpg

The final element worked on today was the supplied Anovos belt. The problem with the belt is that it has 4 chicago screws that hold up the holster. The CRL clearly says that it can be only 2 screws. So I could buy a new belt but thought I would try this first. I have used UKWraith's instructions again to try and make a patch for the belt holes that will be created by removing the extra screws.

First step was to remove the screws, cut the extra leather strap:

Drill%20Day%20-%2019.jpg

Next up I removed a small velcro patch that will be at the back of the belt and covered up when the belt is actually fitted. From the section where I removed the velcro I cut a small section of cloth that I will be using to glue over the holes:

Drill%20Day%20-%2020.jpg

Here are the patches that I will be using to cover up the holes:

Drill%20Day%20-%2021.jpg

Then I had sewed the Velcro patch back on. Once again this section will actually be covered up when the belt is fully fitted on:

Drill%20Day%20-%2022.jpg

Next step was to cut small patches to put over the holes and then add some glue. I have used the E6000 which I read can be used for fabric. If the glue does;t hold successfully I will remove it and buy a specific fabric glue tomorrow.

Drill%20Day%20-%2023.jpg

I have then put the belt between two pieces of wood and clamped to try and make it mesh together and look as good as I can.

Drill%20Day%20-%2024.jpg

Overall a pretty successful day.

Everything with the legs, arms and torso is now complete for a fitting. I will do that later this week and then rim the backs of the arms & legs ready for glueing of the back cover strips. I will then velcro the back of the shins. After which I will add the sniper knee and ammo belt. Getting closer...

So completed a test fit of a the torso and also measured up the legs and arm pieces tonight. Thanks to sideshow for his help!. 

The torso fit:

Test%20Fit%20-%201.jpg

Test%20Fit%20-%203.jpg

Test%20Fit%20-%204.jpg

Test%20Fit%20-%205.jpg

And with the bucket!

Test%20Fit%20-%206.jpg

Test%20Fit%20-%207.jpg

Then with the leg fitting. There needs to be trimming of both the thighs and the shins. I will be taking about 5mm off the bottom of the shins first and then see how they both fit after doing the back cover strips. They didn't sit perfectly tonight because the overlap at the back often dug in and restricted movement.

Test%20Fit%20-%208.jpg

Test%20Fit%20-%209.jpg

Very happy with how the test fit went and will be trimming and completing the back cover strips on the legs, then the arms.

After that I will be doing some little touch ups - sniper knee, ammo pack, painting buttons and glueing them. Then close to try for some approval photos.
Edited by Darth Colejoy

So havent had the chance to do anything since the test fit with Haso so glad I finally got a few hours tonight. Got a lot done so very happy.

First step was to trim the back of the shins according to the test fit, then gave them another quick fit to make sure they felt ok and then glued the back cover strips onto the outside half of the shin. Once the glueing is done I will put velcro on the inner part of the shin and also the cover strip.

Friday%20Work%20-%204.jpg

One thing I have noted is I will need to do the small cut out at the back for better walking as the top part of there back of both knees feels a little "tight"s o will make sure I give myself a little bit of room.

I also took this opportunity to glue the sniper knee onto the left shin. It took a little bit of time to line this up but happy with the outcome.

Friday%20Work%20-%205.jpg

Finally I removed the return edge from the wrist end. I haven't removed the return edge from the elbow - and most likely will but my undercut hasn't arrived and I really want to feel what it will be like with that on. I have approximated the undersuit with similar clothing but want to make sure it is ok. I think I like the look of the return edge on the elbow end for that added depth.

Friday%20Work%20-%206.jpg

And the other good news from today was that my HyperFirm E-11 blaster arrived. It has been a 2 month saga getting it from the States due to Aus Post "losing" it at a warehouse - but it got through customs (phew! Thought it may get confiscated because it was a gun regardless that it is fully rubber and no moving parts) and arrived today for me to pick it up. It is very durable and can't wait to use in my first troop!

Friday%20Work%20-%201.jpg

Friday%20Work%20-%202.jpg

I'll do the thighs and the ammo pack on sunday. Getting closer....

So worked over the weekend and have completed the back of the shins. They now have a cover strip as well as the velcro strapping to close them up. The strapping doesn't seem to allow the back cover strip to sit flush against the shin but it closes over and fits well with an undersuit and the TK boots on so I think it will be fine.

Here is the back of the shins:

image_22.jpeg

I also took this opportunity to finish of the shins and add the sniper knee onto the left shin:

image_23.jpeg

Finally tonight I trimmed the back of the thighs and have glued the back cover strips on them:

image_1_10.jpeg

Once they are dried tomorrow night I will drill the hole and attached the ammo pack to the right thigh.

Next will be to fit, trim and complete the back cover strips on the bicep and forearm. Then I will paint the buttons and glue them onto the front. Once that is done I will do a final fit and see how everything is going. I am still waiting for my official undersuit and gloves from Anovos so I get the feeling that could be the thing that holds me up. But my goal to be approved by May 4th could be on track...

Thanks heaps for the feedback K-Man. Will look at that for the cover strips and return edges!

What did you mean about the front and wrist edges? Do you have a photo that you could show me?

It's been a bit, sorry, I was on vacation and not keeping up with FISD.

Here are some pics of my hand guards, showing the curves I mentioned. Let's it sit flatter on your hand, which is curved, of course:

20160319234837-f03c2d1a-me.jpg

20160319234840-c03ff4ee-me.jpg

A couple comments to follow when I get a chance...

Btw, love your kid's photo bomb in that one pic. LOL!

• Like 1

Tonight I was able to spend another couple of hours on some more things. Unfortunately I have run out of E6000 so waiting on another tube to arrive in the mail.

Firstly I installed the ammo pack making it slightly off centre as per the CRL and ukswraths build on FISD.

Arm%20Stuff%20-%205.jpg

Which meant the legs are done:

Arm%20Stuff%20-%206.jpg

I then went on trimming and measuring the back of the biceps and forearms so they can be glued when it arrives.

Firstly biceps:

Arm%20Stuff%20-%201.jpg

Then forearms:

Arm%20Stuff%20-%203.jpg

So next will be glue both of these arms parts and then the final step will be to paint the buttons and glue them onto the front.

From there I will;l remove the plastic, clean up some of the cover strip overlap and angles, remove any excess glue and do a test fit.

Hopefully by the end of next week I might be able to do the test fit and see if I can put in my first submission for approval. I am sure there are a couple of things I will need to fix up but happy with my first ever build so far.

For inspiration tonight I had the bucket and The Force Awakens playing in the background...

Arm%20Stuff%20-%202.jpg

No matter how much I look at it I love looking at the TK Bucket!!
  • Like 1

It's been a bit, sorry, I was on vacation and not keeping up with FISD.

Here are some pics of my hand guards, showing the curves I mentioned. Let's it sit flatter on your hand, which is curved, of course:

20160319234837-f03c2d1a-me.jpg

20160319234840-c03ff4ee-me.jpg

A couple comments to follow when I get a chance...

Btw, love your kid's photo bomb in that one pic. LOL!

Thanks heaps. That is one of the little things I haven't got to yet but will do next time I sit down. Thanks for the reference. Makes a lot more sense because the angles are weird tbh. I haven't got my gloves yet so waiting on them as well so I can make it sits well on those.

• 10 months later...

So after a bit of a hiatus and working the kit with quite a few troops I decided to make some upgrades and also prepare the kit for EIB submission.

First major update was the shoulders. I have replaced the black T-Bar that were with the Anovos strapping and improved it with the white elastic between the shoulders - one shoulder is glued both sides and one side has glue on one half and a double snap on the other. 

IMG_0103.jpg

IMG_0056.jpg

IMG_0061.jpg

IMG_0060.jpg

I also did a few other adjustments to the shoulders and straps. I created new nylon straps between the shoulders and put a snap on the white elastic - felt this was a better option than the basic velcro strapping that I had with the original Anovos strapping. (You can see this at the top of the pic below).

IMG_0107.jpg

I also added the small white elastic around the shoulder straps - not needed I think for EIB but I am slowly working towards Centurion.

IMG_0128.jpg

Finally I also replaced a lot of the Velcro strapping inside the torso with snaps as it is stronger and less likely to come off during a troop.

IMG_0127.jpg

IMG_0126.jpg

That's everything ready. Net post will be the submission pics.

So I have the submission pics ready for EIB. These are the main shots. I won't post here all the shots required of EIB as there are lots of individual photos of parts. But here are the main submission photos:

IMG_0067.jpg

IMG_0069.jpg

IMG_0074.jpg

IMG_0076.jpg

IMG_0079.jpg

IMG_0081.jpg

Looking Good Trooper.

2 things that I saw right away ... Replace the Philips head screws on your TD for Common head (slot) pan head screws & Paint the screw heads black. And, your belt seem to be a little low.

Nice Job. :duim:

• Like 1

Looking shiny!

I'd agree your belt looks a tad lopsided.  And the screw upgrade for the TD is super simple... not certain it's required for EIB vs Centurion, but it's certainly an easy (and cheap) upgrade. :)

I would definitely move a belt upgrade to the top of the wish list, though.  That Anovos belt isn't doing you any favors.

Thanks guys. New latex hand guards and trooper bay belt are already ordered and on their way. Always planned to replace the Anovos belt but ought it might pass EIB. If not no big deal as I'll fix it and re-submit.

Realised the hand plates were on wrong hands after I'd posted the pics. Can't believe I missed it. But if it's an issue as I said I will be replacing with latex so will do that and re-submit.

Hopefully with the improved belt it will sit in the right spot just slightly above the bottom of the ab buttons.

TD upgrade will be getting to as well for the final push to centurion.

Thanks for all the feedback guys. Good to know I'm on track and things I thought were needing to be fixed are what you thought and nothing I missed - except for the hand places!

Will be back in a month with upgrades again ready for centurion submission hopefully.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk