AP Holster Conversion ESB to ANH

When I ordered my kit from Authentic Props I decided to add the Genuine Leather Holster to my order as it was a good deal. Also I'm in Canada and the exchange rate on $USD is not good at the moment so ordering one from the states would be that much more expensive. When I asked Mark about these holsters, he told me that he makes them this way so that his holsters can be used for either ANH or ESB. He also said It's way easier to convert ESB to ANH than it is to convert ANH to ESB. I'm building ANH Stunt so this is how I converted my holster to ANH style.

This is how the AP Holsters come, the leather loops that go around the canvas belt and secure the holster are ESB style.

The holsters in ANH utilized single straps that were fastened to the canvas belt from behind, not loops over the belt.

These loops are held in place with Chicago Screws so removing and modifying them is extremely easy.

image_zpswjt03mm1.jpeg

Using this ANH holster template from Troopermaster as a reference guide I converted the straps to ANH style. This can be done by using the existing loops to cut straps and the little 3/4" leather squares that are fastened to them at the base.

I've seen many centurion applications that have done this with their AP holsters and were approved just fine.

TM-ANHdimensions.jpg

I wouldn't say that using black straps to attach the holster to the belt is not "screen accurate" because I have seen posts on here where people were able to capture screenshots of at least one trooper with black straps on his holster, However most of the stormtroopers in ANH have un-dyed natural leather color straps securing their holsters to the belt, as well as most troopers in the 501st. So I made new straps using a scrap piece of leather I found, you can use an old belt or anything leather really. I then used the existing black loops to cut the little 3/4" leather squares that are fastened to the base of the straps. Using the template above I also trimmed the trapezoidal cut line where the blaster sits to be the same as Troopermaster's template, not sure if this is screen accurate but this seems to be the most popular shape among centurion applications. To do this I had to use a sewing needle to pull out some of the stitching on the right and re-tie the knot lower, a little tedious but it was pretty easy overall. It looks the way I want now, I'm happy with the results.

image_zpswmh2oa0q.jpeg

Here is a comparison photo of before and after. ESB on the left, ANH on the right.

image_zps47hashok.jpegPlease don't hesitate to comment or critique my work, also let me know if you have any questions.

I'll do my best to answer them.

Edited by SlyFox740

Could I get a measurement from the top of the actual holster to where you have the stitches starting?  I think that's the only measurement that's missing 

Hey Eric,

Troopermaster's template does show this measurement, it's 5 inches from the top of the holster itself to the flap where the stitching starts.

So there should be no need to move the actually strap then eh?

My blaster is actually still a work in progress so I'm not quite sure if it will fit or not yet, If not I may have to get a new strap and move the rivet and snap both a bit closer to the ends. That's the only solution I can think of as the strap is only supposed to be 11 inches, and this one is so that's correct. Also the location of the rivet holding the strap and location of the snap are also correct according to Troopermaster's template.

Edited by SlyFox740

Mine is 10.5, I hope that's not an issue in the end but if it is then that's life :)

I think the only real issue is if your blaster will fit or not, the smaller details are probably mostly just personal preference. Other than how it's fastened to the belt, the CRL is pretty vague concerning the holster details. I've been looking through the centurion applications and there seems to be some variation around different details the of holsters. There aren't even any EIB requirements listed the let alone Centurion, neither for Stunt nor Hero. So again other than what it's made of and how it's fastened to your belt I think all that matters is that it holds your blaster and your happy with it. :smiley-sw013:

That being said I have seen the shape of the trapezoid cut brought up in a centurion application once before but it ultimately didn't prevent the particular trooper from being approved, but it was mentioned... at least one time that I've seen.

Edited by SlyFox740
  • Like 1