Helmet Supplies

I just got my ATA TK helmet shipped and it should be arriving sometime later this week. Since this is my first time building anything for a stormtrooper outfit, I'm going to take my sweet time in making sure I do it right (complete with a build thread here on FISD, so you professionals can help a newbie not screw it up).

I'm not getting the rest of the TK kit until October earliest, so, for now, what do I need to work on just the helmet? I'm hoping to build it to Lv. 3/Centurion specs up-front.

I already have the E6000 glue, measuring tools out the wazoo, scissors, a precision knife, a marking pencil, sandpaper, and tape. I might have a dremel in my workshop, but I haven't been out to check yet. Besides these, is there anything else I'll need for the helmet that isn't provided with an ATA kit? (Things that, say, I might have to buy off TrooperBay)

One last thing: for the "vents" in the sides of the helmet, will I have to paint those on or will decals work?

Thanks!

• Like 1

Some people like to use a rivet gun, (as seen in many of the builds), to secure it together, Jack, but there are other alternatives.  They are pretty inexpensive, and you can get one that includes the rivets at Lowe's, Harbor Freight, etc.  One thing I invested in that really helped me out was a "needle file" set from Lowe's.  It has 6 different styles of tiny files, and was perfect for the teeth.  Ran me about $4.00.

Another product that I swear by is 3M's "Sandblaster Pro" sanding sheets, (220 grit).  These are like sandpaper sheets, but are made of silicone.  You can roll them up, wad them up, twist and turn them, and they pop right back into shape.   They are almost impossible to tear,  waterproof, and seem to last forever!  Great for tight areas like the teeth openings, and everything else.

For attaching the eyes, I used a product called SUGRU.  It is sort of like silly putty, but is actually a glue that you can mold.  I simply rolled it up into little snake-like strips, pressed it in around the inside edges of the eye openings, pressed them in, and let it dry for 24 hours.  Leave a small opening at the top for ventilation, though.  Available in the painting dept. at Lowe's or online at https://sugru.com/

As for the "vents", decals will certainly work.  If you have the time and patience, and since you are aiming for Centurion*, I would suggest the painting templates offered on Trooperbay, https://trooperbay.com/trooper-helmet-masking-templates.html.  If you decide to go the painting route, PM me and I can give you a few tips to help you out.

* To reach Centurion, decals are acceptable, as long as they "emulate" hand painted.  

Edited by justjoseph63
  • Like 1