Reinforce your mic tip recess on ATA helmet

I don't know if this has been posted before but it was a solution I found while building my ATA helmet. I had black Shoo Goo on hand, which I use to reinforce lexan bodies on RC cars.  I thought I would use it on the thin areas inside of the back of the mic tip recess.  I used 3 layers waiting 3-4 hours in between each coat.  The Shoo Goo binds perfectly to the ABS plastic and creates a very rigid surface.  After 24 hours I was able to drill my my mic tip holes right through.  I ordered my Shoo Goo online but I believe it is also sold in major hardware stores. I would assume if you couldn't get black that it should be paintable (not sure though). The pic is the inside of the helmet. Hope that tip can help!

fJnwup5.jpg

• Like 1

Great tip.  My bucket was a little soft there also.  I took some two part epoxy and the washers that were supplied with the tips and bonded the washers to the inside of the helmet.  I then added some two part epoxy around the washers where it still seemed soft.  They are now very solid.

• Like 1