Rocketsurgeon's HIPS don't lie

First build...

Read all the forums. Watched all the videos. Opened the big box. Got right to work. Aannndd I'm stuck.

Bucket is kicking my butt. No matter how much I read or what videos I watch. Could someone help me diagnose my life right now? I need to trim the doohickey or reattach the whatsit but my fear of irreparable damage is paralyzing.

It's HIPS CAP armor. I'm going for an ANH TD. MEPD SWAT is the goal, but I might be too ambitious.

Here are the photos of the bucket:

First build...

Read all the forums. Watched all the videos. Opened the big box. Got right to work. Aannndd I'm stuck.

Bucket is kicking my butt. No matter how much I read or what videos I watch. Could someone help me diagnose my life right now? I need to trim the doohickey or reattach the whatsit but my fear of irreparable damage is paralyzing.

It's HIPS CAP armor. I'm going for an ANH TD. MEPD SWAT is the goal, but I might be too ambitious.

Here are the photos of the bucket:

http://imgur.com/a/t0ZJq

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

Hey Juan,

I'm currently building the CAP HIPS armor as well but for the ANH Stunt TK. What are you having difficulties with on the helmet? I may be able to assist in some way.

I tried to link an imgur album in a comment. I don't think I've attached the cap in the right location. Either that or I need to trim somewhere.

Should there be a gap on the brow? How closely should the "tubes" match front and back of where the two pieces are joined? I know the ears cover part of this..

Also I'm not sure how much of the bottom to trim. And how much space I need to attach yhe S trim.

Sorry if my thoughts are disjointed! It's been a long day

Well it seems like the "hump' or rather the large brow above the eyes is still quite large. I'm not sure if you plan on keeping it that way or not. I trimmed mine down drastically to help the trim fit lower.

IMG_9653_zps9jrkdniq.jpg

The gap on the brow is up to you. It's a personal preference.

The "tubes" should be close enough together. The ears do cover the seam but there should be a screw to connect underneath so there should be some overlap.

Along the bottom trimming off the mold lines to the point of being hidden is pretty much what I went for. Depending on the length of your trim.

It's easier to cut the trim than to have not enough!

Hope this helps out a bit.

If assembled correctly, there will be no gap along he brow. Don't obsess about the alignment of the front and back cheek tubes. ATA and CAP helmets are close to identical. See this thread: <a data-ipb='nomediaparse' href='http://www.whitearmor.net/forum/topic/28633-howto-ata-helmet-build-hand-painted-details-pic-heavy/'>http://www.whitearmor.net/forum/topic/28633-howto-ata-helmet-build-hand-painted-details-pic-heavy/</a>

Wow, thank guys! Both good threads to look at. I think I'd seen them before but maybe glossed over some of the finer details. There is so much information out there it's hard to discern what's relevant to my build.

The iron should help a bit.

I'll get a few more pictures up this afternoon. Glad to know I'm not alone!

Looking good. Once the ears are in place, you'll be able to see what shape of head opening you've got at the bottom of the helmet. You can then shape that opening to fit your head, and make it look pretty too. Also, the black S-trim at the bottom does smooth things out.

20151101_083748_zpsn9crge4a.jpg

Anyone have a suggestion as to mounting for this stuff? Most of the threads I've seen have a thicker lense material. This is what came in on box day. I know u will definitely be using some removable method to change lenses in the future. I'm just not sure how to start.

You can either install mounts in the helmet then screw the lens to, buy thicker lens and mount it to either set of ear bolts, or well there's a few ways you can go. Just take a look at some other threads, they don't have to be hips derived.

Keep up the good work  :duim:

I have a AM TD it has absolutely no shine on it. I will say this though if you paint it, it will probably be easier to change any weathering mistakes made than weathering applied directly to the armor.