E-11 parts kit build

Hey Guys,

I've been taking a short break from my astromech build and decided to assemble an E-11 from a Sterling parts kit I bought a few years ago.  The parts kit came from Apex, and I used an 80% receiver tube I got from some place I can't remember. I can weld, but I'm not an expert by any means, so I had a pro weld the muzzle and rear portions to the tube.  He did a pretty good job, though it does show a bit at the muzzle.  I added the rest of the bits myself by brazing.  I did make one mistake.  I added a false barrel trunnion that is plugged so this would remain Not A Gun (NAG).  But I made the false trunnion too long and it blocked a couple of the rear most holes on the receiver. My mistake.  I had to drill out the holes.  This mostly doesn't show.  Argh!  Not too bad, though.  Everything else went smoothly.      I used a simple wooden dowel as a false barrel, and the blaster can be verfied as not a functional firearm by just glancing down the muzzle to see the dowel.   Trigger and selector work, and the bolt can be moved with the charging handle.  The scope is a genuine M32 scope.  I also have an M38, but I slightly prefer the look of the M19/32.  I may swap them later.  The scope rail is 1/8" thick aluminum.  I know that's too thick for screen accuracy, but it is nice and rigid.  No counter or cylinders for now.  It's a clean Luke Hero/ESB style right now.  I like that look, though I may add the counter and cylinder later if I get the itch. The entire blaster was prepped and painted flat black, except the grip, the trigger pack, internal parts, and T-track. I gave the whole blaster some light-moderate distressing.  The scope is exactly the way I purchased it.  Here's the pics. I have another parts kit and pipe I may wind up putting in the classifieds....  we'll see.

E-11-1_zpsjlzcepgi.jpg   E-11-2_zpsyrtdmjmv.jpgE-11-3_zpsuexcyt4r.jpg

Edited by Strongbow
  • Like 1

Looks awesome Michael! Great stuff. It does have a nice clean look to it with no counter or cylinders, doesn't it.

I put a 1/16 rail on mine with a real scope and weight/rigidity doesn't seem to be an issue at all.

Only constructive criticism I could offer would be to shorten the length of the spring so less coils are visible and are further spaced.

Great job again.

Looks awesome Michael! Great stuff. It does have a nice clean look to it with no counter or cylinders, doesn't it.

I put a 1/16 rail on mine with a real scope and weight/rigidity doesn't seem to be an issue at all.

Only constructive criticism I could offer would be to shorten the length of the spring so less coils are visible and are further spaced.

Great job again.

Thanks much.  I just got some high strength steel in 1/16 inch that looks like it will work.  Gonna give it a try.  I'm using the original springs in it, so I'm not really inclined to cut them.  I had thought about taking out the secondary spring.  Since it's a non-firing prop, I don't really need all that spring tension. 

Edit: I removed the secondary spring.  It looks good, and the it's much easier to work the bolt. Thanks for the suggestion!  I think I'll leave it this way. :)

Edited by Strongbow

I'm using the original springs in it, so I'm not really inclined to cut them.  I had thought about taking out the secondary spring.  Since it's a non-firing prop, I don't really need all that spring tension. 

Edit: I removed the secondary spring.  It looks good, and the it's much easier to work the bolt. Thanks for the suggestion!  I think I'll leave it this way. :)

Ahh, I'd say you had them in the wrong way. Only the larger of the two springs should be visible. Here's one pic with details of how it should be.

Bolt%204_zpshfc2e9mn.jpg

Plenty more in Aaron's album there, or the Blaster Reference here: http://www.whitearmor.net/forum/topic/32111-fisd-e-11-blaster-reference/page-5#entry422899

Thanks guys!  I replaced the aluminum rail with a 1/16th inch steel rail.  Looks much more screen accurate.  The springs were in correctly, but the bolt is partially converted to semi-automatic and that compressed the spring more than usual.  I just pulled out the secondary spring and it looks better. I'll get a couple updated pics tomorrow, if possible. 

Edited by Strongbow