Trouble getting helmet to look glossy!

nucklejoe

Okay so im down to the final stages of completing my INC trooper helmet but cant figure out how to get it to look glossy like in the movies. i bought some recommended gloss white paint (the plastic did not come with a shine) and it wasn't very shiny at all. another tip i heard was to use novus plastic polish but i'm not sure how to properly apply this to the helmet and i haven't gotten a shine using it so far. Any tips? 

This is what it looks like so far and the white paint does not look nearly as glossy as the red

post-24712-0-99693100-1443065515_thumb.jpg

On 9/24/2015 at 11:33 AM, nucklejoe said:

Okay so im down to the final stages of completing my INC trooper helmet but cant figure out how to get it to look glossy like in the movies. i bought some recommended gloss white paint (the plastic did not come with a shine) and it wasn't very shiny at all. another tip i heard was to use novus plastic polish but i'm not sure how to properly apply this to the helmet and i haven't gotten a shine using it so far. Any tips? 

----------

Have you tried to clearcoat it?

It looks like it was HIPS or polystyrene or something like this which is very bumpy and will take a bit to really get it to shine. I dare say you might need to go over the entire thing with a good filling primer, wet sand it down to get a good smooth surface, then another few coats of gloss white and a clear coat.

Edited by gmrhodes13
link not working removed
  • Like 1

I second the idea of trying gloss coat paint. 

The Novus plastic polish is just that, polish for plastic.  I don't know how well it will work on a painted surface.  Since it is painted, the polish to use for the best results, probably would be a car wax and polish.  But, be sure to read the labels of the paint and the wax. Usually there is a length of paint drying time for it to cure properly.

Have you tried to clearcoat it?

It looks like it was HIPS or polystyrene or something like this which is very bumpy and will take a bit to really get it to shine. I dare say you might need to go over the entire thing with a good filling primer, wet sand it down to get a good smooth surface, then another few coats of gloss white and a clear coat.

I have tried clear coating it and no change. Also i have put 4-5 coats of the gloss white paint and it just doesn't shine like the gloss red. im not sure why. are you recommending i restart?

I have tried clear coating it and no change. Also i have put 4-5 coats of the gloss white paint and it just doesn't shine like the gloss red. im not sure why. are you recommending i restart?

The gloss white should gloss itself up all by itself. If it's not, you can try like wingnut said, car wax and a buffer.

Otherwise I'd say strip it back down and start over, making sure you prime it really well. In order to coax a shine out of something, you can take a wet 1000 or 1500 sandpaper and lightly sand down between layers. This will make the next layer pop much better. Prime, sand, prime sand, paint, sand, paint sand, paint, clear coat. Should do it.

The gloss white should gloss itself up all by itself. If it's not, you can try like wingnut said, car wax and a buffer.

Otherwise I'd say strip it back down and start over, making sure you prime it really well. In order to coax a shine out of something, you can take a wet 1000 or 1500 sandpaper and lightly sand down between layers. This will make the next layer pop much better. Prime, sand, prime sand, paint, sand, paint sand, paint, clear coat. Should do it.

Thank you for the help guys! I really appreciate it! If i cant manage to get the shine with car wax would it be a good idea to try giving it a battle scarred look? Do you guys know anything about how to do this? or is there a forum post somewhere that would tell me how to do this?

• 3 weeks later...