initial trim via 'razer scoring' - any other options?

Just received my AP kit, looks good. I'm about to embark on the 'trimming process' - I darkened in the 'score lines' w/ a pencil (to make it easier to see) and am mulling over a strategy for cutting it. Are there any other options than score and break with a razer? Has anyone used ('carefully') an all-in-one cutting tool or jigsaw or something?

Or is this a bad bad idea?

Thanks in advance!!!

Terrance

Just received my AP kit, looks good. I'm about to embark on the 'trimming process' - I darkened in the 'score lines' w/ a pencil (to make it easier to see) and am mulling over a strategy for cutting it. Are there any other options than score and break with a razer? Has anyone used ('carefully') an all-in-one cutting tool or jigsaw or something?

Or is this a bad bad idea?

Thanks in advance!!!

Terrance

actually, by 'jigsaw - I meant 'scrollsaw'

I used a number of methods. It depends on the part you are cutting. Some places you are best using a razor to score it. Other places you could use a dremel to cut thru the plastic. You can also use tin snips on bigger pieces.

I used a number of methods. It depends on the part you are cutting. Some places you are best using a razor to score it. Other places you could use a dremel to cut thru the plastic. You can also use tin snips on bigger pieces.

Okay sounds good. I have a Craftsman all-in-one cutting tool which is similar to dremel (with an assortment of attachments) - I'll look at it later this week and decide what to do.

Thanks for the response.

I used a small band saw to cut my back piece of my FX armor to detach the butt armor. It worked great, but I needed to cover the saw table to prevent scratches. A jigsaw would work similarly.

Don G.

interesting - never thought of using a band saw.

thanks.

• 2 weeks later...

i'm afraid to use a high speed power tool to cut the thin plastic.

i've been using a Hot Blade X-Acto knife i bought at Fry's Electronics for about $15. it plugs into a 110v power source and heats the blade enough so that it melts the plastic slightly while you score it before snapping the pieces off

i think this is a better and safer method since you don't need to use too much pressure or force to cut through the plastic, just a few light passes are enough to make a sufficient scoring for a clean break

8irzUvB.jpg

Edited by gmrhodes13
photos updated gmrhodes13 2021