Bluetooth Headset - Mic only

Hey guys!

Sorry if this has been covered...for some reason I'm having lots of issues trying to work the search function on this site. I never get any responses for anything.

Anywho, I'm looking for an alternative for the Aker headset. It still works, but for my Fett I keep my aker in my side pouch, so the mic cable runs all the way down my body to my hip. Not to get too descriptive, but after a long troop, I've been noticing that moisture is causing the speech to be intermittent. 

I am looking for a bluetooth option. I've seen 3.5mm bluetooth receivers that run about $10 that can make the aker amp bluetooth...which is great. But I'm having the hardest time looking for a microphone only headset that is low profile. Something like this would be perfect, but needs bluetooth:----------------

Budget is around $20-$30 for the mic, and I'd prefer to have a boom-style mic so that it's adjustable. I've seen lots of 'yoga instructor' headsets, but they are extremely expensive....probably because they include a receiver amp as well.

Edited by gmrhodes13
link removed no longer working

• 1 month later...

I do the same thing with my Fett, and have had the same issue finding appropriate BT stuff for my TK.  I can never find Tx's and Rx's that are compatible, but I know they exist.  A few years ago I found a site by an amateur videographer who had found nice, cheap, BT gear for use during interviews.  I have not been able to find what he used, but it's out there.  Very frustrating.  I use a memorex wireless in my TK.  a Tx in my forehead, an Rx in my chest along with my amp, and my iPod for troop chatter.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

So reading this thread yesterday got me thinking on how to make my helmet(s) bluetooth-able, So I went down to Best Buy and Picked up a Bluetooth receiver and transmitter took a little fiddling, and I got it to work. even can use my PTT cable w/ my Aker on this setup. one thing to note w/ this setup you need to use a normal wired mic and you plug it into the transmitter. something I found out while experimenting is it needs to be a stereo mic or at least have the stereo plug, because the single ring on the normal mic connection doesn't hit the right contact in the connector, now in my tests I noticed a about 1 second lag in the transmission. these BT Tx and Rx dongles are really tiny perfect to stick one in the helmet but they are only BT standard 2.1 the new specification accounts for the lag and transmit faster and cleaner. and while doing this experimentation and research I figured out why you cant just pair it to a BT mic and be done, a large portion of these dongles are made JUST to stream music and the only BT profile they support is A2DP which is whats needed to stream music meaning they will not connect to the mic in the headset. so I read a lot about the different profiles and found a receiver that supports all the latest BT specs and also has support for the following BT profiles A2DP, VRCP, HFP, HSP. the last 2 are whats needed to support the phonecalls and the mic. I ordered it off amazon for $20 and it'll be here on Friday at which point I'll test pairing it w/ my BT headset that does have a mic and I'll report back my findings either way I've found a small lightweight cable free helmet option thats easily transferable to multiple costumes w/ almost no work. 

TESTED: For this system to work, I think you might need to build your own arduino BT reciever so you can customize how you want it to connect.

now for BT to BT (tx dongle to rx dongle) I get them to pair and it transmits sound from devices just fine, mic's is a different story. I've gotten it to work by plugging in some simple earbuds into the transmitter and speaking into them

but w/ mic's it doesnt work. I think because it takes soo much less to drive the earbuds vs the mics, it might work if you had some kind of mini pre-amp or something or maybe just the magical mic of the right super low impedance.

I was looking at HyTechToyz Bluetooth Vader system and it does exactly what I'm trying to do so I emailed them and asked how they have the mic wired, waiting to hear back from them. If this doesnt work I'm just going to scrap the whole idea.

Edited by Amancue
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...

Using these from Amazon: 

If I plug up two of these: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0192TH6HY?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=ox_sc_act_title_1&smid=A1HES6VZF527UJOne as TX for wired mic in helmet and one as RX hooked up to icomm and Aker, would that work?

I ran into this same problem:

TESTED: For this system to work, I think you might need to build your own arduino BT reciever so you can customize how you want it to connect.

now for BT to BT (tx dongle to rx dongle) I get them to pair and it transmits sound from devices just fine, mic's is a different story. I've gotten it to work by plugging in some simple earbuds into the transmitter and speaking into them

but w/ mic's it doesnt work. I think because it takes soo much less to drive the earbuds vs the mics, it might work if you had some kind of mini pre-amp or something or maybe just the magical mic of the right super low impedance.

I was looking at HyTechToyz Bluetooth Vader system and it does exactly what I'm trying to do so I emailed them and asked how they have the mic wired, waiting to hear back from them. If this doesnt work I'm just going to scrap the whole idea.

I even tried a mono to stereo 3.5mm plug adapter to see if that was part of the problem and no joy. It looked like they were synced up to each other, just no luck transmitting sound of any kind. Back to the drawing board...

• 4 weeks later...

My biggest fear with BT is interference, and the potential for someone to accidentally lock into your system mid troop. Other than that, and the worry of another battery to replace, i am all ears for this.

Edited by fuumantroop

So reading this thread yesterday got me thinking on how to make my helmet(s) bluetooth-able, So I went down to Best Buy and Picked up a Bluetooth receiver and transmitter took a little fiddling, and I got it to work. even can use my PTT cable w/ my Aker on this setup. one thing to note w/ this setup you need to use a normal wired mic and you plug it into the transmitter. something I found out while experimenting is it needs to be a stereo mic or at least have the stereo plug, because the single ring on the normal mic connection doesn't hit the right contact in the connector, now in my tests I noticed a about 1 second lag in the transmission. these BT Tx and Rx dongles are really tiny perfect to stick one in the helmet but they are only BT standard 2.1 the new specification accounts for the lag and transmit faster and cleaner. and while doing this experimentation and research I figured out why you cant just pair it to a BT mic and be done, a large portion of these dongles are made JUST to stream music and the only BT profile they support is A2DP which is whats needed to stream music meaning they will not connect to the mic in the headset. so I read a lot about the different profiles and found a receiver that supports all the latest BT specs and also has support for the following BT profiles A2DP, VRCP, HFP, HSP. the last 2 are whats needed to support the phonecalls and the mic. I ordered it off amazon for $20 and it'll be here on Friday at which point I'll test pairing it w/ my BT headset that does have a mic and I'll report back my findings either way I've found a small lightweight cable free helmet option thats easily transferable to multiple costumes w/ almost no work.

Do you happen to have a link to the pieces you got at BestBuy? I don't mind using my existing Aker mic, I just don't like having that huge transmitter in the helmet. My head is big enough as it is.