Skypigs ANH Stunt (AM v2.0)

So started work on fixing my thigh ammo pack.  First I made some ABS paste with some scrap ABS (which there seemed to be a lot) and some acetone I "borrowed" from the wife.

A88B68AB-C0F1-4721-AA0F-609BA6F1D5A2_zps

I then figured out where I wanted to trim and lightly penciled a mark.  I did this on both sides.

32C56049-E2A5-4276-B4F3-C44E498B1C03_zps

With the help of a flat headed screw driver, sone needle nose pliers, and a little cursing, I was able to straighten the split rivets and remove the ammo pack.  Luckily, I ordered two sets of split rivet's from Echo so I have a couple spares.

1B853A0B-FF89-4C03-B35B-9A36F808E15E_zps

I then drew my pencil lines, added the curve, cut with my Lexan scissors, and smoothed everything out with some sandpaper.

BB0CF696-4E8B-4409-9D13-713252BCE155_zps

By now, my ABS paste was ready (about the consistency of mayo), so I taped off the backside of the ammo pack to prevent the paste going everywhere, and dabbed a little in each hole.

28B556D5-A5C2-4FE6-A4BD-49E3B81401D5_zps

8DE9759A-41FA-4558-B6F9-96D52E56B231_zps

Going to let that dry for a while.  

Edited by Skypig

Your armor looks amazing! Very nice work and congrats on getting approved :th_AnimatedBravoSmiley: 

I do have one question from one of the pictures you posted.  I've been working on sizing my armor to me and getting it ready to be trimmed.  I'm not a very hands-on person, so sorry if this is a stupid question.  I've been using the method of squeezing the two halves together to get the right fit.  In your picture below, you make your pencil mark about halfway between where the armor overlaps.  Can you explain why?  I'm not sure I understand why the mark is there opposed to elsewhere.

Thanks for any help!

D557C5FF-98C4-4483-8AF6-B870DA2E1CB5_zps

You want to cut even amounts off the front and back, so the cut and cover strips stay centered properly. If you cut both pieces on that mark, you'll keep both halves the same size, so the armor will stay symmetrical. If you just cut off the overlapping portion of one side, your cover strip would be either way too far forward or backwards.

• Like 1

You want to cut even amounts off the front and back, so the cut and cover strips stay centered properly. If you cut both pieces on that mark, you'll keep both halves the same size, so the armor will stay symmetrical. If you just cut off the overlapping portion of one side, your cover strip would be either way too far forward or backwards.

This would have been good to know from the start.  The forearms and biceps have already been cut and the biceps are almost completely glued.  The forearms need some work, so I will see if I can apply this at all.  Thanks for the informative reply.

A little light sanding today, followed by a shot of spray "Crystal Clear" enamel, and the results aren't too bad.

post-22374-143914101694_thumb.jpg

Used some new split rivets. Used a flat head screw driver to slightly spread them, then finished them off with a ball pean hammer.

post-22374-143914110221_thumb.jpg

I also placed a small piece of white Velcro on the front of the thigh to keep the ammo boxes from moving. Much happier with this result.

0D9D756D-2123-4927-8FDE-3B74BA29F5A4_zps

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by Skypig

Hey Michael, great work so far sir  :duim:

The thigh ammo belt is to be held on by cap rivets.  http://www.ebay.com/...=item35d9a33a26 or http://www.whitearmo...vel-rivet-sets/ or visit your local hobby shop

The ab to kidney plates are split rivets

• Like 1