Screen Accurate Shins

So I've been searching all over the forums and can't really find the information that I'm looking for so I'm hoping that someone can help me out or point me in the right direction...

I'm working on the calve pieces (RT-Mod) and I know that in the films, hooks were used to close the shins up in the back as opposed to velcro which is commonly used around here.  I'm looking for specifics on what types of hooks were used and how they were added to the armor.  Photos would definitely be a major plus here!

If anyone else has used this method, do they keep everything closed up in the back pretty well? Do they have a tendency to break off or come unclasped?

I think that's the correct, or screen-used, method. The hooks won't come off as long as there is enough pressure so that the hooks/clasps don't move in the opposite direction, IE letting the elastic do it's job in keeping it snugly agains your calf and muscles. Correctly fitting the shins is probably crucial in any case.

The hooks won't come off under any circumstance, because not only does the shin tend to expand outwards so that the elastics are under constant pull, but they are also clamped between the two shin halves and are thereby kept in place.

The plastic itself is also sturdy enough so that the holes won't tear or rip.

This method of closing your shins is in my eyes preferable, because the shins are not "clamped" to your leg, like they can be with velcro closures, but are able to "breathe", meaning, they are able to expand if it becomes necessary while walking.

Another plus: it is screen accurate.

Take a look at the "replica section". There is a thread called"What we know about strapping". I think you'll find all the details there.

• Like 1