PTT wiring - female 1/8 in. headphone jack?

Wondering if I can take a board with a little PTT button (like a toy blaster trigger button, for example), rip off the button and solder a female 1/8 inch audio jack to the connectors and then plug an icomm PTT male 1/8 inch in and have it work?

In other words, do I need a special PTT female jack or would any audio jack work?

I'm looking at the non-icomm PTT from voicebooster.com (says works with anything but icomm)

And here's the jack I'm thinking:

http://www.amazon.com/Hosa-MHE310-Headphone-Adapter-10-Feet/dp/B00BGDMIOG

Thinking of cutting the male off and using the female side's wires to connect where the other button is currently connected.

Edited by charlesnarles

Usually, any PTT simply breaks a circuit. But in some cases, you may need a different setup (where the button shorts the circuit with a resistor as the PTT for Midland Walkie Talkies do). The problem you may face with a simple 'normally open' button, is you may experience loud popping when you click it on and off. It'll work though, just be aware. 

To solve the popping, I'm not sure what to do. I have the same issue I'm trying to solve. I've been looking into debounce circuits, use of capacitors/resistors, as well as different mute circuits, but I'm no electronics wizard (yet :P). Hopefully someone will be able to shed some light on that. 

Edited by netslave

Great news that it'll work (assuming I can solder it properly), thanks for the feedback.

What kind of popping are we talking? Cause the stormtrooper mask board I'm using doesn't make any click before you speak, so that wouldn't be a deal-breaker for me (unless it's damaging to the circuit or speaker)

Edited by charlesnarles

Hey Scott I bought one of those Disney masks and ripped the guys out of it as well haha. Handy little setup. Interested to see how yours works out. 

haha I completely understand.

Well I'm on wave two on orders, the Hovi tips are selling like crazy. Let me know if/when your ready.

BTW, I'm working on running the Disney board through my ROM/FX Mic somehow, or soldering a 3.5mm jack to the board and pipe the Hovi speakers through it. Either way this little board is way too fun for the money.

Hey if you come up with something let me know.

Talk soon

That's what I was thinking. Soldering female 3.5mm jacks to the speaker out and to the PTT out. Then it'll have a different click before and after. It's the chatter keeping me from switching to an iComm or rom/FX

Incorporating tk chatter into the iComm or ROM/FX would be the golden goose, and that's what I'm working on haha.

On another note, Though you posted a "Payment sent" message I never actually received any payment, I just checked my Paypal account. Was that meant for someone else?

I'm about to order a Voicebooster.com PTT button but the board I'm using has a speaker directly wired to it, no external amp:-----------

The $10 voicebooster PTT designed for icomms has one jack so I'm gonna solder that to the connectors of the old button. The other PTT offered has an out for an amp which I don't have. Should work, right? Or does the icomm PTT have special wiring? Just wondering, if anyone has dealt with their innards before

Edited by gmrhodes13
link removed no longer working