Tall guy looking to start his first build

Hello, everyone! As you can probably tell I'm super new here and I thought I'd just dive right in and, hopefully, get some advice on a few topics.

I am looking to start my first TK build very soon. I am excited about the process and understand the investments I will have to make in order to make an accurate set of armor. My biggest inquiry is this: I am 6'4", which seems to be well above the ideal height for a trooper and I wanted some guidance as to whether my height would preclude me from building an acceptable set. Is there a certain type of armor that is more forgiving when it comes to modifying for height? Even with the proper modifications will my armor be considered less acceptable due to the fact that I'm so tall? Is it even worth it to start a build with these factors in mind? Is this the real life? Is this just fantasy?

I would love any advice you could give, especially from those on the taller end of the spectrum. Thanks in advance!

Hello and welcome aboard.

Check out Rob at RT-Mod. There is a waiting list, but, worth the wait. You can always get in touche with AM.

Sent from my iPhone 6 using Tapatalk

Greetings Jed, and welcome to the FISD!!!

As has been suggested, I'd also advise you to look into RT-Mod. I troop it at 6'2" (6'4" in armor), and 210 lbs. our Detachment Leader, Darth Aloha is 6'5" without the armor, and he also troops RT-Mod. Definitely a great option for you.

Rob does have a long list, and probably won't accept anyone else on it until January, but it is worth the wait. Feel free to ask any questions that you may have. That's why we're here. ;)

• Like 1

Hello, everyone! As you can probably tell I'm super new here and I thought I'd just dive right in and, hopefully, get some advice on a few topics.

I am looking to start my first TK build very soon. I am excited about the process and understand the investments I will have to make in order to make an accurate set of armor. My biggest inquiry is this: I am 6'4", which seems to be well above the ideal height for a trooper and I wanted some guidance as to whether my height would preclude me from building an acceptable set. Is there a certain type of armor that is more forgiving when it comes to modifying for height? Even with the proper modifications will my armor be considered less acceptable due to the fact that I'm so tall? Is it even worth it to start a build with these factors in mind? Is this the real life? Is this just fantasy?

I would love any advice you could give, especially from those on the taller end of the spectrum. Thanks in advance!

Hi Jed, are you military over there? If so this will open your options due to the APO.

Coming personally from another tall guy (6'6", 220) I can only recommend Troopermaster armors. The only armor I ever trooped in was a TM. TM has several things going for him in regards to taller guys. The number 1 thing is that he offers an XL set of shins. These are 2 inches longer and a little larger than normal shins to fit the bigger guys. This makes a huge difference in the look. In my signature you will see a like to previous builds. Look at the photos on the first one it is my centurion application photos. So you can get an idea of how it looks on a taller guy.

The only catch is that you have to have about a 34W jeans size and no "gut" in order to get the armor to fully close without the use of shims.

RT is made with a mind for larger troopers, but I feel it's build not really for taller troopers so much as bigger troopers. It can fit the tall trooper but the length of the shins kills it. I bought an RT-Mod as well but I liked the sizing on the TM better and the ultra accuracy of the TM was very interesting to me when compared to the RT mod. RT is a great armor and Rob is a pleasure to work with, but in the end I picked the TM armor as I felt is was the best option for me.

I would explore both options and see where it leads you.

• Like 1

Thanks for the advice and the kind words, guys! I did email Rob from RT-Mod yesterday and I'm just waiting to hear back. Would it be the weirdest thing in the world to use RT-Mod armor in conjunction with just the TM shins? I don't know how much people mix and match and/or if this would look awkward. Can I even buy TM pieces separately or would I be obligated to buy a whole kit? 

Thanks for the advice and the kind words, guys! I did email Rob from RT-Mod yesterday and I'm just waiting to hear back. Would it be the weirdest thing in the world to use RT-Mod armor in conjunction with just the TM shins? I don't know how much people mix and match and/or if this would look awkward. Can I even buy TM pieces separately or would I be obligated to buy a whole kit? 

Most armor vendors will sell parts separately and TM is no exception. I know for a fact he will sell individual parts upon request. The problem with mix/matching vendors is nearly all of them are slightly different shades of white. I know TM's 1 and 1.5mm is white but when held next to T/MC or AP looks to have a yellow tinge. This color variation is also on the movie suits but it's not noticed since all the suits are from the same material. However if you were to put a shin form TM and a thigh from RT, you would see the difference. TM offers a 2mm acryllic capped ABS that is brilliant white and this might match better.

I don't work for TM or get any money for advertising, but I should :D

• Like 1

Great info, thanks! Roughly how much am I looking at for an unassembled RT kit? I understand if pricing is a weird issue to discuss on the message board, just curious as I'd like to start getting my ducks in a row.

It is always best to discuss this directly with the armorer. I think is is in the 800-900 range for the RT-Mod kit. The helmet is already built which is nice.