ATA Helmet paint prep question

XiliX

I will be painting my ATA bucket this weekend. I know I need to wash it thoroughly to remove oil and such.  Since the helmet is made of very slick ABS, do I need to do anything else like rough the areas to be painted lightly with a scotch brite or anything?

Are you using a template for the tube stripes? If so I would recommend painting the first coat in a gloss white. After that dries then paint the blue. Remove the template immediately after painting the blue. Any bleed through that might have occurred will be white and easier to deal with. Hope it helps.

Thanks Coastertk. Yes I plan on using templates for the tube stripes. I have seen mention of sealing the template with gloss white first. For gloss white, I'll be using testors. How long would you say I need to allow the white to dry before applying the blue. I know you don't want the paint dry when you remove the template. Just like masking a car.

Thanks Coastertk. Yes I plan on using templates for the tube stripes. I have seen mention of sealing the template with gloss white first. For gloss white, I'll be using testors. How long would you say I need to allow the white to dry before applying the blue. I know you don't want the paint dry when you remove the template. Just like masking a car.

Be sure that your paint is completely dry. Don't be shy to wait 24 hours. After apply your blue and remove template as soon as your done.

Sent from my iPhone 6 using Tapatalk

Edited by Tolo