Assemble yourself or buy one that is assembled?

Guest DavetheDane

Guest TK xxxx

Hi!

I am new to this - I am searching the internet for infos on the stormtrooper armour. Is the FX a good armour and it is hard to assemble? What is the opion of the 501st, is it ok to buy an armour, which is already assembled or should you take the time to build/assemble it yourself?

My problem is the time and of course also my skills ;-) I would really hate to destroy the armour due to lack of skills...

Are there some good and fair (price) places you can recommend?

I have searched the ebay and an assembled suit is around 600 £ - I saw a complete one (with all the extras) for 899£.

I have also seen that the Shepperton is having a sale at the moment, 25% reduction - and they have a assembled armour (no helmet and extras) for 750 £. Is it good and strong - Can it be used for trooping?

what to do? Would really like to a good suit as soon as possible..

BTW the Shepperton is offering a Stormtrooper Battle Spec 295 £ (before 25% discount) - any experience with this helmet?

I am looking for a good suit of armour/helmet for trooping..

Thanks for your help!

The FX if bought from a credible reseller (e.g. not a recaster) is high quality armor. That said, it is the least accurate of the 501st accepted armors out there, though there are no plans to "retire" it any time soon. It is perhaps the easiest of all the makes to assemble yourself.

I think most people would encourage anyone to build their first suit themselves. Some garrisons have frequent "armor parties" or other programs to help new people get started, others don't. Check with your local garrison.

Never worry about destroying the armor. That was my fear too, but in truth it's easy to get replacement parts, and everyone's made mistakes. I like to joke that I converted my first suit into a sandtrooper to hide all the mistakes I made (which is true in many ways, actually).

The hard part of paying someone to assemble your armor is not knowing what to ask, and no matter how good a job they do you'll need to do some tweaking, so eventually will have to do some basic trimming & strap making/adjusting on your own anyway.

There is a reputable reseller of FX on these boards - check out the For Sale area under Deckard. There are many folks in the UK Garrison (which it sounds like your from) that troop in SDS armor, so that's a fantastic deal to get started if you're in the UK or Europe (else the falling dollar will kill you).

I'd really suggest you get hooked up with the UKG - they're one of the best garrisons in the Legion, particularly with the stormtrooper armor, and can also help answer some specific questions with regards to what they troop in / experience, as most of the SDS armor worn in the 501st is worn there AFAIK.

There are a lot of posts about this very topic all over the boards.

And, if you want, you can see where I asked this very thing (pretty much) when I got on a few months ago and what everyone said.

The link is -----------

Hope that helps too!

(btw... I ended up with the FX and LOVE LOVE LOVE it!!!)

Edited by gmrhodes13
link not working, removed gmrhodes13 2021