JC's ROTJ Build

the overlap on that side has more defined edges so maybe looks bigger than the other but they're pretty much the same size.

I could taper them in at the bottom more, but can't trim anything from them really. I only have about 5mm overlap at the top and 3-4cm at the bottom.

i could trim the bottom narrower but id be worried about losing a bit more mobility though so not sure.

all the strapping was from Mark, that should be ok shouldn't it?

Went to my local comic-con today. Only spent a couple of hours there, if that. Had to get off. Come away with a nasty cut on the back of my left leg and some sore marks on my arms so it definitely needs work.

My little boy dressed as Spider-Man.

No inside pics. It was all too busy and cramped..

447d2ea5167aa16f4c83a37a38617763_zps234e

938f14cca21092daf1bcb1090462f74f_zpse04a

72ef7123bb4d044cf37d64abb64bf528_zpsfa3a

• Like 2

Thanks man.

Looks like I'm going to have to add a bit of a shim.

I'll pull the back of the thighs apart and work out how much extra I need.

It's probably only going to have to be a small v shaped bit towards the top. Maybe only a couple of CM at it's widest part.. We shall see.

Right.. time to tackle these thighs…. this is how much extra material I've had to keep and how much of a V shape gap I'd be left with that needs to be hidden. 

This brings them up to my butt cheek and keeps a more snug fit at the bottom edge as well.

it's a shame about the extra definition on the left thigh ridges.

I should be able to flatten out that inner ridge so there's only one on that side, like I did on the right thigh which would improve the look a lot.

Thighs1_zpsk6y0vhvd.jpg

another option would be to cut all the extra material out and add in a smooth bit under the gap.

so cut all this out

Thighs2_zpsjvrudeqs.jpg

which would result in this.. which is obviously a lot more inaccurate. but does it look better?

back1_zpskheupfjb.jpg

I'm not sure.. I guess I'll try flattening out the inner ridge on the left thigh, and then try to extend that edge to close up that V shape first and see how I go.

Last night I started a little test using solvent cement to soften the edges of two bits of armour off cuts, after they were softened enough I pushed them together and ran a third bit down the seam to smooth out the resulting ridge.

Once it was dry I've sanded it smooth.

It's as solid as a single piece and definitely proved it's a viable solution for extending my thigh to close up the "V" shape..

6d08eb3841de8fc886d8b5c441e5f455_zps8027

started the thighs.... please excuse the awful pics. didn't realise how bad they were until I got on the PC. 

first job.. try to get rid of the extra ridge which would normally be cut off.

I clamped along the edge to keep it from warping, and heated along with a hair-dryer. 

It only takes a minute or two to warm up and instantly started to flatten out.

ThighFix1_zpsgfqfwfkz.jpg

after quite a bit more work repositioning the clamps and trying to flatten it out as best as I could, this is as good as I could get it.

It's a lot less noticeable now and matches the other leg better.

The pic on the right shows the first extra V section in place. 

I wet both edges with solvent cement paste first like my test in the post above, which softens the plastic (glad I kept a load of offcuts now).

After a few seconds I pushed the new bit onto the thigh edge.. I'm looking for it to ridge up slightly all the way along the seam to show it's pushed up flush to the other part and so should sand back without any gaps. (you can just about make out the ridge) 

ThighFix2_zpsxttzbtd7.jpg

Now I just need to wait until the morning when I can sand it. :D 

So far so good. Started sanding back the seam. You can see the start of it near my thumb where it's still fairly rough. The very top edge will be trimmed as well.

I'll be waiting till it's all back together before buffing it back up to a shine.

f6776005edb99453dd993fa7cc26e0d5_zpsd080

I made a neck seal today. Just need to pickup some Velcro for the join in the material down the back tomorrow.

It has a u shape section cut out of the front for comfort. :)

788be1c2954fd27424407c7a6b4877b9_zps6453

Thighs are getting glued now.

I should be able to take final pics tomorrow of the (hopefully) finished armour.

You can use a zipper, too.

I like that better than velcro.

Sent from the shield generator on Endor

Looking forward to see the finished armor!

Edited by KaitoTrooper
  • Like 1

• 5 weeks later...

Holster attached.
Boot soles painted (which I'm not keen on at all)
Ab button paint updated.
Arms trimmed a little and aligned better.

4_Right_zpsibzsy2rn.jpg

Hasbro blaster modded to look more like an ROTJ one.

Some Doopy's bits.. Three 3D printed parts and some halved electrical pipe down the barrel.

image.jpg1_zpsiijjm4fy.jpg

• Like 1