Straping Method - Does the breast/back plate really need to attach to the ab/kidney

So I'm an admitted newby, but I'm about 80-90% of the way through my build and I'm struggling with why the chest/back needs to be connected to the lower ab/kidney armor? From what I can tell by wearing the armor around the house for 10-15minutes here and there for test fitting I don't see much need to attach them together. No attachment seems to give good mobility (okay, not good, but as good as it gets) and the chest/back doesn't seem to move around or fall away too badly when bending over due to the relative rigidity of the upper plastic straps (free floating in back of course).

Is there a practical reason that becomes obvious when wearing the armor for longer periods of time? I.E. is it necessary to stop the midsection from sagging? Does anyone else out there troop without attachment between the two sections?

You don't want nothing to be moving as you troop.

As for the sagging, since everything is atrached correctly together, your armor is not suppose to sag.

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk

Edited by Tolo

Although attaching all the parts together is ideal, not everyone is built the same. If you have a smaller torso or if you are shorter all together, it just may not be possible. I have built suits where the torso is one section, then the chest, back, and arms are put on like a shirt pulled over the head.

That's kind of the situation I'm in now...except that I'm not short (6'1", 200lbs). Right now I've essentially got it rigged such that I've got an armor shirt (breast,back and arms) with a seperate ab/kidney lower portion. I guess I'll give it a try and see how it goes during an extended wear period. If it sucks I can always add some straps to connect the sections.