Ryan's AM Build!

Hey Ryan, Just an FYI and for everyone else.  after trying different cutting methods for the cover strips, I found that using the jig saw made the cuts pretty clean.  The dremel tool heated up the plastic and made pieces stick to cut area, the scissors didn't give me straight cuts (wait till you see my forearms...), and the shop knife, well good luck cutting though all that plastic.

For straight cuts, I measured and drew my lines, then I taped down a metal ruler on the line I wanted to cut, and ran an xacto blade down against the ruler 4-5 times.  Then I removed the ruler and snapped the plastic off at the score line.  Nice clean lines.  If there was any issue with that, I cleaned it up with some sandpaper.

The way of cutting that Ron talks about worked for me as well! I used a dremel with sanding for the cleaner curve lines and when had to remove small pieces....

Edited by Slangen

For straight cuts, I measured and drew my lines, then I taped down a metal ruler on the line I wanted to cut, and ran an xacto blade down against the ruler 4-5 times.  Then I removed the ruler and snapped the plastic off at the score line.  Nice clean lines.  If there was any issue with that, I cleaned it up with some sandpaper.

That is what I've been doing except I've been using my magnets and my hand to hold down the ruler. 

What time is it? Update time!

Alright so I've glued the inside cover strips on my forearms. They are pretty tight so I only did a partial strip.

F268BBA8-F296-446C-A897-D7DE508FDF5C_zpsE39AD990-AC6A-48E9-9341-EEE46C93A066_zps

I also finished gluing the inside cover strips on one thigh. Then I got brave and decided to try making the return edge on the top of the thigh as well.

7A8CB04D-21FB-4F45-AB6E-346EE02792EC_zps

Here is the rough pass.

363EC041-5D6C-4D66-84AB-62EC2636FF4C_zps99C1426C-8EE7-4626-90C1-3ED2CA1CA806_zpsBF59032F-363A-4264-A74D-BD0433902596_zps

And the finishing passes with sandpaper

4CDAD1BB-86CA-4BF9-91D3-DE0F866A894C_zpsA167CAD8-DCFE-470B-B2A5-7D590EF92743_zpsC7E1D1CD-EEEE-4D2C-ACB8-B99FB9C98B98_zpsD58C2E95-2C7F-4426-BD0C-FEAB536732BA_zps

Looking really good so far Ryan!

I'm asking all of the build threads these days, so I'm asking you, too: Are you building to EIB/Centurion standards already?

I was going to chime in on the cover strip cutting, but Ron and Steve already addressed the score and snap method, so I've got nothing to add. :D

Looking really good so far Ryan!

I'm asking all of the build threads these days, so I'm asking you, too: Are you building to EIB/Centurion standards already?

I was going to chime in on the cover strip cutting, but Ron and Steve already addressed the score and snap method, so I've got nothing to add. :D

Thank you! I am going to get as close as I can, but if not, its not the end of the world seeing as this is my first build. Can the upgraded AM 2.0 be centurion level with the chest and back it has? Just looking at control the old AM couldn't.

How did you end up doing the return edge?  It looks like im going to have to trim down my thigh.

I only had to take about half an inch or less of the top. Then I followed panda trooper's method with a heat sealing iron. 

http://www.whitearmor.net/forum/topic/10434-pandatroopers-am-build-threadam/

http://www.whitearmor.net/forum/topic/12972-howto-make-a-return-edge-on-armor-using-a-heat-sealing-iron/

Edited by Shank_O_Potomus

Nice mod on the thighs. Looks close. 

anhthighback_zpsac23a092.jpg

One way to get the new return edge smooth and shiny is steal wool. The hd by my house has several grades. I started with a semi rough, then  super  fine and it came out great.

Nice mod on the thighs. Looks close.

One way to get the new return edge smooth and shiny is steal wool. The hd by my house has several grades. I started with a semi rough, then  super  fine and it came out great.

Thank you! Steel wool will make it shiny? this has a wet sand at 1000 grit sandpaper. Is there an ABS polish you know of?

Thank you! Steel wool will make it shiny? this has a wet sand at 1000 grit sandpaper. Is there an ABS polish you know of?

I believe that the ABS polish everyone uses/recommends is called novus.

Okay great! I found some paste finishing wax here at the house and have been experimenting with it. It works really well!

Cool! Glad it worked out. I have an NE kit, some of the parts are identical to AM armor. TG said the leg parts are.  Any more progress?

Sorry It has been a while all. I have put the return edge on my other thigh and just need to glue on front cover strips and put the battery packs on the knee. I went ahead and painted the inside of my helmet flat black. I waited until after it was assembled, so I sprayed flat black rustolium in a cup and then just hand painted the inside. Also, are the aerators flat black? Unfortunately we had family friends in town this weekend so I didn't get much done.

This will probably be the last update on the build for a week or so, as I prepare to move out to Oklahoma for college. If there is anyone in the Star Garrison or just the OKC area that would like to help with my build (Armor Party???), it would be greatly appreciated!

Well I'm (mostly) moved into my new dorm room now. not sure where I'm going to store things yet, but my absent roommate's bed seemed good as any for now! 

06A71069-C9BA-437B-A345-9B5F3DF20404_zps

I have the final cover strip on my right forearm gluing now and hope to get back into the swing of things quickly!