Another Doopydoos Full Resin ANH E-11 Build

Hello all! 

A while back, I recieved my DoopyDoo's kit and I just started the build! (Pics below).

The only annoying thing (which is huge) is that I'm building it on the kitchen table in my apartment with no garage access or anything like that, this makes for a few problems, the big one being handling the resin dust. How do you all do that? It kind of gets all over the place when grinding surfaces etc and since it's dangerous I would love some thoughts on that whole process for us garageless people! =)

I use epoxy glue for the most part on this, since I haven't received my E6000 yet, but since it's more or less a completely rigid build, I figure that's okay. I'm also a bit extra forgiving on myself since I plan to buy more kits and I haven't built models for over 10 years, so a few small errors are okay even though I of course want it to be as good as possible.

Right now, I'm heading out to see if I can find the correct screws for it and maybe a Dremel as well! Here are some pictures and have a nice day!

IMG_3874.jpg

First of all, the whole kit and my desk, laptop (FISD on there of course) and obligatory beer for added coziness!

IMG_3872.jpg

A close-up of some stuff.

IMG_3873.jpg

Started with gluing the magazine!

IMG_3877.jpg

And this! Post-doing it I kind of feel like it was to soon, but I'll make it work!

IMG_3889.jpg

Noticed this little jack in the side of this as I was grinding, I guess I can just fill it out right? Unless it's supposed to be there! 

I'm checking all the Doopy threads basically but still looking forward to advice, comments and critique!

All the best,

Patrik

Looks like you're fully prepared for your build, Patrik!

As to your question about the dust, I have two answers that I've been using for the exact same problem: I don't have a workshop type of space, either. I do most of my work on the counter in our bathroom. It is large and well-lit and therefore, suited to the work. To control the dust, I place a towel on the counter and do all of my work on (or just above) the towel and I keep a can of compressed air at the ready at all times. These don't stop it from floating a little every now and then, but staying close to the surface while working causes the majority of the dust to land on the towel which is easily carried away for a good shaking out.

Hopefully this helps you out. Looking forward to your build! Good luck!

Edit: Also, in regards to your question about the nick in the trigger guard: It is not supposed to be there, but I'd say that filling that one is completely up to you. It is the type of damage that a weapon might receive when dropped or hit against another object. Perhaps during that one scuffle, an opponent with a blade took a swipe at you, and your hand was saved by your handguard, but your finger was saved by the trigger guard. Just food for thought. ;)

Edited by Dark CMF

I'd make a little silver mark on the nick, just adds some character.

You wouldn't want to use E6000 ayway, epoxy is the correct course.  Mine has withstood app. 50 troops with no trouble so far.

You may try to wet down the area you are working on with water, won't hurt anything, may cut the dust down.

with the full resin build there should not really be that much dust... but the front muzzle where you're going to put the screws will create some.

I'd just pop out on the patio and simply wear a dust mask.  then vac up whatever dust you might have.  the other option is to run the vac while

you drill and sand... and just keep the nozzle near the work.

Thanks for your answes guys! I really like the idea of leaving that little dent in place and play the backstory card ;-)

Yesterday I found the right screws and I also got this badboy: http://www.dremeleurope.com/se/sv/ocs/product/6013/569/dremel%C2%AE-3000/dremel%C2%AE-3000;jsessionid=E35880F6EDB11D1BF1E73909E673C1A2.sl021-vm_1

Gonna start making a mess of my kitchen after some further Doopy build-reading!

So I just drilled two holes, just thought I'd share!

Thanks to dm101 for his epic thread by the way. ( http://www.whitearmor.net/forum/topic/19872-dm101-doopys-e11-blaster-build/?hl=%20dm101 )

IMG_0066.jpg

First off, I drilled this one!

0ae0f111-ecb1-4308-b719-c5bdea2120a0.jpg

Aaand then this! It's not perfectly round since I had to use a smaller drill with my Dremel but I think it went okay! The screw fits perfectly :) Will glue it as soon as I've cleaned it a bit.

IMG_0068.jpg

Aaand finally my protective gear! Ski goggles and a face mask or what to call it.. the screws are there in the back as well! So far so good!

Good call with the safety gear. I always wear eye protection when dremelling, but I'll admit that I do not wear a breather mask which is probably also advisable.

Looking good!

Small update:

Drilled away the crappy resin "screws" on the front to make place for the real deal! Take a look! :)

IMG_0071.jpg

IMG_0072.jpg

Aaand the other side as well: 

IMG_0073.jpg

It is a bit uneven, but the screw fits in there really nicely! Really enjoying this build.

Patrik, looks like you're moving along nicely!

The two most troublesome spots I've encountered so far in my Doopy build were drilling out those crappy screws at the end of the barrel, and the very frustratingly awful slot in the folding stock, under the barrel.

Other than those two spots, I feel that the Doopydoos kit is a very user-friendly one - even to the novice user! Although, truth be told, they don't intend for you to modify it at all, and in that regard, it is VERY friendly, I guess. :D

Thanks guys! 

I'm currently on a break from it though, I really need to get a vise to hold stuff in place when drilling and since I'm just in the process of getting all the armor from TM, I take it a little easier with getting new tools.

Yeah I feel like it's really easy to work with as well. It is! Although it's a lot more fun to do some tweaks here and there :-) Who knows when I'll get back on this again (as in bulding another one), so I wanna make the first one as exciting as I can but still not too difficult/crazy (not buying a hengstler).

Believe me, I fully understand that last bit that you mentioned. I've been going almost full crazy with mine. LoL - but much like you, I'm loving the experience!! Can't wait to see your upcoming progress. Good luck with your armor, too!