Kids TK/TD build by TD8966

Today on cooking with Wolfman we'll be preparing one of the Imperial Department of Military Research's (aka Rottie) favorite dishes. The TK shoulder strap.

The straps for the TK come flat. So in order that they will look right we'll have to curve them slightly.

image_zps71fa353e.jpg

Start by boiling up some water. I use a small electric burner I found at a local drug store and a pot my wife abandoned. Filled half way with water.

image_zps200f1528.jpg

I bring it to a boil and toss in the straps.

image_zps4b0722ac.jpg

Let me heat for awhile.

image_zps6ffd6476.jpg

Once they're heated pull them out and bend them over something cylindrical a bit smaller than your child's shoulder. It'll spring back a little.

image_zps3d1791d1.jpg

There we go.

image_zps6be5f18b.jpg

I go ahead and glue it to the chest plate. It'll secure to the back plate with Velcro.

image_zps740a2ba8.jpg

image_zps1ee78b42.jpg

Now I build the drop box'.

image_zpsd132dec6.jpg

After I trim them I cut some 3/8" wide strips of scrap plastic the glue to the inside wall of the box.

image_zpse4132a36.jpg

image_zps4ef938c2.jpg

Then I cut a rectangle of plastic to fit inside the back of the box and glue it to the strips of plastic.

image_zpsfec2ea88.jpg

Box is done.

Painting.

I washed all the parts with mild dish soap, the same as the helmet.

image_zps3404b6ff.jpg

Then I hung all the parts in my shop to dry overnight.

image_zpsf712e4d5.jpg

I also paint them here. I don't worry about overspray because I do a lot of airbrush work and built a negative air mover to accommodate. Others should spray pieces one at a time though.

First I use Valspar plastic primer then I use Rustolium white High Performance Enamel.

Reference my painting instructions earlier in this thread.

image_zps7f3631b9.jpg

image_zpsabfc6a8d.jpg

Other white parts.

image_zps66faf9ad.jpg

image_zps6889e345.jpg

Let everything dry for a day or two.

TD sniper plate. Secured to the left grieve.

image_zpsa4857faf.jpg

First I mix up a little 2 part epoxy putty and put it into a few spots on the back side that contact the grieve the most in order to make the plate more secure after gluing.

image_zps05e6fabe.jpg

After the epoxy putty cures I glue it on using E-6000.

image_zps60ef0a95.jpg

image_zpsf74402c3.jpg

TK knee plate. Secured to the left grieve.

image_zps99325654.jpg

I run glue along the inside bottom edge and clamp it onto the grieve so that the bumps line up along the top ridge.

image_zps55b2c147.jpg

Now the right knee amo strip. Secured to the right thigh piece.

image_zps4a228de5.jpg

First I round off the ends.

image_zps8da53c03.jpg

Making sure it's centered to the front of the thigh I drill through and rivet it on both sides. I'm using regular rivets instead of split rivets because I couldn't find split rivets at any hardware stores but once I do these rill be easily drilled out and replaced.

image_zpsd33aa787.jpg

image_zps3cbfdf73.jpg

The ab buttons.

First TD.

No center button panel and three untainted buttons mounted on the left. Simply glue it. I do this before painting.

image_zps05500ca8.jpg

Now TK.

Center panel and left four buttons are painted with the same blue and gray used on the helmet. Reference the helmet painting.

image_zps877d001a.jpg

image_zpsc8715a31.jpg

image_zpsac2e3c13.jpg

After painting the buttons simply glue the panel and buttons on

image_zps4216521b.jpg

Compare TK to TD.

image_zpsc3e9c254.jpg

Wow!!!! Them parts fit like a glove!!!...looks like a lot of thought went into then..?:-)

Also ...sorry for thread bombibg ya...lots of people are asking me and i assume wolfman about soft parts...here ya go...walmart or target sells champion clothing line and they just came out with kids size under armor like suits..also gloves made of the same stuff...boots gotta find them online..just do a search..you will have to paint them ..belt tkettel here on the for sale side,..he does on going runs and the best by far...you will need to get a weist size for him and he is making them so it can grow wuth your kids..blaster and holdsters ..vern is working on that..a hasbro E11 is just about right...if your going dirty...the backpacks.dirtyboy over on MEPD has scaled down his packs and wow..paludrens i have PMed alot of people but have not gotten anything back yet.......bfgs i think wolfie here is making one...hopefully a small run...hint hint

Thanks Walt. I'm going to cover a belt build during the torso strapping. I was going to make a custom pauldron because Sam wants a pink one but if you can get someone to do a run that would be great! and T-21's, I'm in the process. If people like what they see I will be glad to take interest on a run.

I'm so glad you covered Underarmor and gloves! I've got my kiddos on dance ware and will now be changing that!!!

Oh, also, Rick is the MAN when it comes to packs!!! I've got one of his that I'm so proud of I get complements constantly! And from what I've seen his kid packs are just as amazing. I'm very excited to order Sams soon.

As for boots, I found these

http://www.buystarwarscostumes.com/child_white_boots.html

Not movie accurate and I will need to cut the top off of them but they are close.

I'd love to find some better ones.

Strapping.

There are a few ways to strap up armor. Walt (Rottie) suggested I use Velcro instead of buttons for some of the strapping so that the armor can "grow" with the kid. That's the way I'm doing this armor.

The chest plat needs some elastic on the shoulders. I use 2" white elastic and cut 1.25" strips.

image_zps6cb91ab2.jpg

image_zpsbaa1584a.jpg

I use a flame to seal the edges to prevent fraying.

image_zpsb84d3402.jpg

Now I put glue on the backplate.

image_zpse40ee655.jpg

Put the strap on and clamp with magnets.

image_zpsc0f49b2f.jpg

image_zps1bdbe360.jpg

Then put one side of the Velcro on the strap.

image_zpsb44c1e3d.jpg

The receiving Velcro goes inside the chest plate strap end.

image_zpsc90b2db2.jpg

Attach the kidney plate to the butt plate.

image_zpsf92446a9.jpg

Cut a piece of 1" black webbing

image_zps24110aca.jpg

Seal the ends.

image_zps6c3a61d3.jpg

Glue all four ends to the kidney and butt plate. These won't need to be adjustable.

image_zps5ec3f6c4.jpg

I use tape to clamp it.

Attaching the back plate to the kidney plate. I use strips of black webbing. I glue one end to the backplate and use Velcro to attach to the kidney plate.

image_zps81d6a09c.jpg

image_zpsf9e1b787.jpg

image_zpsc9fc3508.jpg

image_zpsa0e5bbb3.jpg

Codpiece to the butt plate. I use a strip of the black webbing. I glue one end to the codpiece and a Velcro end to secure the butt plate.

image_zpsbc9d3e18.jpg

image_zpsa64a9518.jpg

image_zps9ac78668.jpg

image_zpsce98f9c4.jpg

image_zpsfe7a6d85.jpg

image_zps3e293575.jpg

image_zpsfbfe4749.jpg

Attaching the front to the back. I use a piece of 3" elastic on each side. I glue one end to the ab plate. I don't use glue until about 1" from the edge to allow for play.

image_zpse82ba267.jpg

image_zps1638a4cf.jpg

image_zpsdae6ee48.jpg

image_zpsbfc47859.jpg

image_zps0fd0c8fa.jpg

The chest plate has decorative shoulder straps that cover the elastic ones. I just Velcro them on. Sandtroopers don't have theses.

image_zpse19cf057.jpg

image_zps2b99c0fa.jpg

image_zps5a073a8b.jpg

Attaching the chest plate to the ab plate I use the 1" black webbing. I glue one end to the chest plate using tape to clamp. The other end attaches to the ab plate using Velcro.

image_zpsea794536.jpg

image_zps72586273.jpg

image_zps4143c83e.jpg

image_zpsf13f913d.jpg

For the shoulder bells I just glue a strip of webbing to the underside of the white elastic strap. Then use Velcro to attach the shoulder bell to the strap.

image_zps6ccf98ea.jpg

image_zpsdab18451.jpg

Attach the biceps to the shoulder bells using the black 1" webbing. I glued one end to the bicep and Velcro the other inside the shoulder bell.

image_zps6e3d44d6.jpg

image_zps9c0cb658.jpg

image_zps039c5433.jpg

Attach the thighs using the black 1" webbing. Glue one end into the thigh and attach the other to the inside of the codpiece using Velcro.

image_zps277eacec.jpg

image_zpse448460a.jpg

Now the calves or grieves. I put white Velcro to seal the opening. One on the inside edge of the cover strip and the receiving on the outside edge of the facing

image_zps79aa7c5f.jpg

image_zpsf7235403.jpg

image_zps7c930301.jpg

I strap the drop boxes with black webbing. I glue one end to the box and glue the other to the belt with about .5 - .75" gap between the box and the belt.

Sandtroopers do not have drop box'.

Hand plates are attached using a combo of 1"black elastic looped and glued inside the plate and a piece of Velcro.

image_zps2ec43c61.jpg

image_zps7597e422.jpg

image_zpsdd8dd1b6.jpg

image_zpsca46f9c2.jpg

Belt.

I measure her waist with the armor on. You want the belt to be a bit tight in order to help hold it all together. I use white canvas and cut it to length I mark out my other measurements on the edge go the canvas. The overall width will be 5". I leave .25" on the top and bottom for sewing. Then 2" for final belt width with .5" in between for sewing.

image_zpsf0e2aae1.jpg

I the cut very thin plastic in 2" strips. I put this inside the belt for strength.

image_zps8665d459.jpg

First I hem the ends. I sew right through the plastic.

image_zps197a1334.jpg

Then I sew the top of the belt.

image_zpse507b7f2.jpg

I close up the ends.

image_zps594b63d5.jpg

Then I fold one edge of the belt over the plastic and sew it.

image_zpsce1f4fb3.jpg

Then I fold under the other edge and sew it.

image_zpse1f23c4c.jpg

I put a 2" x4" Velcro on one end. On the other side I put the receiving side.

image_zps0d83e0c1.jpg

image_zps5263bf98.jpg

I sew them to the belt for added strength.

image_zps8927e0e1.jpg

image_zps632faf6b.jpg

Attaching the ammo belt to the cloth belt I first drill in middle of the piece in between the center two rectangles.

image_zpsb251e5ae.jpg

Then at both ends.

image_zpsbabb9f92.jpg

Then I drill in the middle of the cloth belt.

image_zps8ebe192f.jpg

I then rivet them together through the center holes. I used a plastic retainer to keep the rivet from going through the cloth.

image_zps9ff99d9e.jpg

Then I straighten the cloth belt along the plastic and drill through where I first drilled. Then rivet with a retainer.

image_zps39622b5b.jpg

Now I attach the drop box''. Sandtroopers skip this step.

image_zps1a141d5a.jpg

I just glue them on the inside of the belt by the outer rivet retainers.

image_zps4f2ef86e.jpg

Neck seal. I measure her neck. Circumference and length from shoulder next to neck upto the bottom of her jaw.

I transfer the measurements to a piece of pleather with batting glued to the back of it.

image_zps4a484561.jpg

I cut it and a respective piece of cotton out.

image_zpsc8fdeaca.jpg

I also cut out a piece of the same cotton cloth about 10x11". Using something called math I find the circle I need to cut out of the center.

image_zpsa6ca4e52.jpg

I cut the circle out. Then hem the edges of the square.

image_zpsb70dbf52.jpg

I turn the pleather and cotton wrong side out and sew around the edge.

image_zps09db95ef.jpg

Turned right side out.

image_zpsebc82235.jpg

I start sewing parallel lines down the length of the pleather. Just estimate the distance between the ribs. I just tried to make it look right. I think there's supposed to be 7 ribs.

image_zps0f88e33d.jpg

image_zps5335174c.jpg

I cut the square in the middle from the edge to the circle. I hem one edge the sew a 1" strip to the other side so that it overlaps the other side.

image_zps7dd59578.jpg

Now I sew the collar to the "dicky". I sew them so the seam will be inside when tuned right.

Just working it around slowly so it follows the circle.

image_zps00a44a1a.jpg

Now I attach Velcro on each end of the collar.

image_zps9f0d31b6.jpg

image_zps7e114bd0.jpg

image_zpsc1f09ba8.jpg

Thermal detonator is attached to the belt using two clips.

I start with 4" long .5" wide strips of 1/8" thick aluminum.

image_zps8e38522c.jpg

I drill one end and bend them like this.

image_zps71b5ee76.jpg

I put the clip about .25" away for the bottom of the control plate. I drill through the hole I already drilled into the pipe.

image_zps4cf4e017.jpg

I revet it.

image_zps62a9af78.jpg

Then I bend the strip around the pipe.

image_zps74819e05.jpg

Then I drill another hole through metal and PVC.

image_zps1ebe95e1.jpg

I rivet that hole. Then bend the metal over.

image_zps15f0828d.jpg

image_zps368f3f17.jpg

Edited by wolfman

For now she'll just sport a TK. Once I get the pauldron made by Pandatrooper, the pack made by Dirtyboy and I build the mini T-21 I'll turn her into a proper Sandtrooper.

SAMI TROOPER!!!!

image_zpsbe521b0d.jpg

image_zps22dfe4a5.jpg

Happy little rocker!

image_zps398d49a4.jpg

• 3 months later...

This is such a great thread!

I cannot wait until my little girl is big enough to troop!

Thanks for the share! Your girl is adorable!

Edited by aicire

• 1 month later...