Kids TK/TD build by TD8966

I got 2 child's kits from rottie, TD4934. Right now I've only got the upper body, bucket, chest, back, and arms. The plan is to build one a TD and one a TK. I'll be posting the build thread here as I go.

image_zps2b8eb65b.jpg

I started by finishing the basic trimming. That means just trimming the obvious extra plastic. Not what you'll need to trim when fitting. I didn't take photos of this process as it is pretty straight forward. Just make sure to keep return edges where needed. There's lots of reference photos on the forums if your not sure.

Next I decided to start a helmet first.

image_zps43abd43c.jpg

you'll need a pencil, hobby knife, sandpaper. Also a pair of plastic hobby scissors and a rotary tool are helpful. Rottie provides some rivets. I like to use more than he provides and will show my method. So you'll need a rivet tool.

image_zpsa9500726.jpg

First thing I like to do is to outline the shape I intend to cut out with the hobby knife. First the eyes: image_zpsbfaee6d4.jpg

Then the teeth: I make sure the teeth look uniform and matching.

image_zpsfe5db75a.jpg

Now I start cutting. I score very lightly where my pencil line is making sure my knife doesn't wonder. I keep scoring keeping an even pressure on the knife so that eventually works through the plastic. Stay patient so that you don't cut where you don't want to. image_zps475297cb.jpg

For the teeth I use the rotary tool with a small sanding drum bit on the backside of the face plate to sand through slightly. image_zpsceaabc8d.jpg

I then use the hobby knife to trim out to my pencil lines. Again, go slow and pay attention to your lines. I've done a lot of buckets and these holes have a tendency to get bigger on me as I try to keep straightening and squaring up my cuts. Probably just me though. : P. image_zps3be332a6.jpg

Now I take 220 grit sand paper and clean up my edges and make sure the eyeholes will be flush when I install the lenses. You can hold a piece of cardboard to the inside of the eyes to see if there's gaps that need sanding out.

image_zps545c1188.jpg

Ok. Now I'll trim the brow line. I use a piece of painters tape and run it from the bottom of each side trap, making sure the line doesn't run too low or too high. You can judge by eye and reference photos by comparing your line relative to the top of the dome.

image_zps6c7305dd.jpg

Next I find the center of the face plate by measuring between the eyes. image_zps00048a0d.jpg

Then I cut a piece of tape that fits between the side traps on the dome. From bottom corner to bottom corner.

image_zpsef7a1d23.jpg

Then I remove the tape and find the center.

image_zps60153705.jpg

Putting it back on the dome I can transfer the center mark.

image_zps050db512.jpg

Now I can line up the dome to the face plate.

image_zpsbb12a92b.jpg

I put a piece of tape in the center to hold it where I want it. I like a low brow line so I put it about 3/8" to 1/2" above the eye line. Then I place the dome brow line as parallel to the eye line as I can.

image_zpsa91b2195.jpg

I put tape in the corners to help hold it.

image_zps913fb413.jpg

After that I run a strip of tape all the way accord the brow line so it's real secure. I didn't take a photo.

Now I mark a good spot on the seem line where the ear will cover it.

image_zps3feae69f.jpg

I drill and rivet it. After I do both sides I then mark and drill and rivet another spot about the center of the ear circle just to keep it all tight while I work on the ears.

image_zps17274e5e.jpg

image_zpsbfb0c9d7.jpg

Now I'll do the ears. This has always been the trickiest part of helmet building for me. Matching the curve of the tubes to the ears is hard but if you go really slow you can get it really good.

First I do a rough trim making sure not to go too far in.

image_zpsc8e357b2.jpg

Now I'll start doing the final fit. I hold the round of the ear where it goes. And I start sanding out the shape of the curve of the tube on the ear really slowly. Every little bit I stop and see where needs a little more. Remember to go slow. You can take off but you can't put it back (easily).

image_zpsbb53cf5c.jpg

image_zps2442ae19.jpg

Then I clean up the ear with 220 grit sand paper.

image_zps6b97aa61.jpg

Now I will drill holes the same size as the bolts that come with the bucket.

image_zps548d8b86.jpg

image_zpsc37c8f82.jpg

I drill the ears alone first.

Then I hold it against the bucket where it goes. You can tape it to help hold it in place. And drill through.

image_zpsbc5f7b1d.jpg

Here's the hardware that Rottie included. I use the 4 bigger bolts on the circle of the ear and the 2 smaller to do the bottom of the ear.

image_zps8850685a.jpg

This is about where I drill. Using a clamp to help hold it while I drill.

image_zpsf3ff47a4.jpg

image_zpscdb15052.jpgThis is the bottom bolt in place.

Now I trim the bottom of the bucket. The two halves of the helmet do not and unless I'm doing it wrong never will line up perfectly. That's what the ears and bottom trim rubber are for. Try to blend the two halves and ears together and keep in mind that you want the trim to go on without any gaps between it and the helmet, trim the helmet keeping the curves as gradual as possible. There's places like around the front, under the vocoder that the curves are a bit hard but that's ok.

image_zps40726c40.jpg

Before I start painting I mix up some two part epoxy putty and put it on the inside of the faceplate where the mic tips will mount. This will help to keep the area strong when we drill and mount them.

image_zpsfb64ca00.jpg

image_zps4a39f181.jpg

Now it's time to paint.

I prep the helmet by simply washing it with a green scrub pad and a mild dish soap. This will remove any oils from your skin, any release agents used in the heat form process and dirt and the scrub pad will scuff it enough to help the paint stick. I wash inside and out and get in all the crevasses. I then let it dry completely. To help I use an air compressor.

Then I spray it with a white or clear plastic primer. Don't let it drip. One coat is enough as long as it's covered.

Optionally you can tape off the eyes and vent holes and spray the inside a flat black. I don't do that with these helmets though.

For every white part I will use-

Rustolium Gloss White.

Found at home improvement stores.

For helmet and buttons-

Grey: Testors 1138

Blue: Testors 2715

Black: Testors 1147

Found at hobby stores.

I let the primer cure for a full 24 hours or more. Then I spray several coats of white on the helmet. Make sure you do light coats so there are no drips. Make sure your paint area is clean.

Here's the soap and pad I use to wash the bucket.

image_zps3404b6ff.jpg

Here's the paints.

image_zps66e3d889.jpg

I put the helmet on my sculpting table. It makes it easier to turn while I paint. I then spray a couple of light coats of the primer. I only allow a few minutes in between.

image_zps64fdca4e.jpg

Allow the primer to dry overnight.

Now I will topcoat with this, Rustolium Professional series gloss white.

image_zps742579c5.jpg

I do several light coats. I make sure I have even coverage with no drips.

Okay. First off I'll say I am not the steadiest hand. That said, here we go...

This part is going to show the paint for the ESB version (black frown, trap stripes etc.). The rest of this thread however will portray a Sandtrooper (grey frown, no trap stripes) build.

Now I paint the frown. I use a small pointed brush and try to keep it straight. Although I do keep a bottle of Testors enamel thinner to clean up any mess ups. I use it lightly because it will take off the white as well.

image_zps9272c39f.jpg

Now I paint an outline of black around the trap perimeters.

image_zps6a49c363.jpg

Around the ears as well.

image_zpsee1559e2.jpg

Now the back traps.

image_zps2130cad0.jpg

Now I paint the vocoder.

image_zps2abcdeba.jpg

Now we'll fill in the traps with the Testors grey. Fill them in leaving a thin line about an 1/8th of an inch wide. I do my best to keep it straight and even but there will be some inconsistencies.

image_zps236c3ee7.jpg

Hears the ear after the grey.

image_zps6db52494.jpg

And a back trap.

image_zpsdb5f78cc.jpg

Now we'll do the trap stripes. I do them mostly freehand using original helmet photo reference.

First I put tape ion top and bottom to get the lines straight. I only estimate the placement as the traps are not the same size.

image_zps527bbb94.jpg

Now I paint the lines.

image_zps68838d1a.jpg

Take the tape off

image_zpsf3540d46.jpg

Now the cheek traps. I don't use tape for these.

image_zps57904416.jpg

I also paint rank stripes on the ears. Don't ask me about what stripe combination denotes what rank. I'm not sure and I've only seen guesses as to that.

image_zpse60f2ced.jpg

Now stripes and lenses.

Usually I'd paint on the tube stripes using Testors blue #2715 but Rottie provides really nice decals so I'll use those.

I cut the sheet in half and trim it to fit about 1/8" from the cheek when I put them on.

image_zpsff21a9b6.jpg

image_zpsc9dba24f.jpg

Then I peel the backing paper carefully so that the stripes stay on the semi translucent side.

image_zps47f42a10.jpg

Then I carefully lay them down, making sure to not let the strips touch the plastic until it's all in position. After it's placed I rub it and make sure it's all stuck down then lift the paper off. Bam! Tube stripes!

image_zpsfd6d8be0.jpg

Lenses. Rottie provided some really nice lens plastic. You could just glue it into the helmet because it's curved perfectly to fit but I like a more finished look. During the next few steps, be careful not to scratch the lens material. I first mark the size of lens I need by holding the material up to the helmet.

image_zps5568476a.jpg

I make them a bit larger than the eye, leaving room to put in screws.

You can use a rotary tool or a coping saw but I use my bandsaw to cut the lens out.

image_zps116c901f.jpg

Then to the small belt sander to finish the edges. You can also do this by hand.

image_zps89f6430d.jpg

Now I cut 6 pieces of plastic or wood about 1/4" x 1/4" x 1/2" and drill small pilot holes in them for tiny screws to go into. I'd tell you size of screws but I don't know, I've had these tiny things for years. I think they are eyeglass screws.

image_zps315f97db.jpg

I glue them in place around the eye at the three "corners" using a small amount of E-6000. Don't use much because the chemical reaction produces heat and will warp or melt the plastic. You can also use epoxy but that gets hot too.

image_zpsdc93395e.jpg

Now I hold the lens on the plastic mounts and use a Sharpie to mark where the holes need to be drilled. Then I drill them and use the tiny screws to secure the lenses in the bucket.

image_zps4bd3126d.jpg

There, nice looking lens with just a tiny bit of extra work.

image_zps7bfe709b.jpg

I'm going to add the screen behind the frown now. I'm using black plastic window screen I purchased from a local hardware store. I got the smallest roll I could find and I'll still have a supply to last 3 lifetimes.

image_zps1224e263.jpg

I cut a piece to fit and then put several dots of super glue along the frown to secure it.

image_zps88496c29.jpg

image_zps61a327d4.jpg

Now mic tips. There a good color by themselves so I don't paint them.

image_zps46862606.jpg

I used the metal screen that Rottie supplied on the Sandtrooper bucket.

image_zps1c416c92.jpg

I didn't like how hard it was to cut. I couldn't keep the strands together very easy. So I decided to try some of the plastic screen. Much easier to cut.

image_zpsfad9e196.jpg

I put the two I cut on a piece of tape to make them easier to hold.

image_zpsdfb2190a.jpg

Then I used a silver Sharpie to color it.

image_zpsaa969899.jpg

image_zps9062b730.jpg

Then I placed them into the tips.

image_zpscfb036ae.jpg

I used tiny dots of superglue to secure it.

image_zpsb360cd1c.jpg

Then I trim the bottoms. I use my bandsaw but a hacksaw or just sand the ridge off works too.

image_zps8927de05.jpg

I then find center in the mic tip cove and mark it.

image_zpsacb60a91.jpg

Then I take a 5/8" spade bit and drill where I marked.

image_zps03a4ccdf.jpg

image_zps5d9c6cf9.jpg

image_zpsa5724062.jpg

This is why I reinforced and thickened the mic tip alcove with epoxy putty earlier.

I use a generous amount of super glue all the way around the mic tip tang.

image_zpsf53c9f6c.jpg

Then I place it into the hole and let the glue set up.

image_zps44ce3f53.jpg

Now the brow trim.

image_zpse4fc85bf.jpg

I place one end near the ear where it stops and tape it.

image_zps7c2610c4.jpg

Then I run the trim tight across the brow where it will go and mark where it will end on this end.

image_zps201a97d3.jpg

Then I cut it where I marked with scissors.

image_zpsedad2875.jpg

Now I open up the trim with two fingers and run a thin bead of E-6000 inside the channel. This will keep it in place. Forever. Then I work it onto the brow where it belongs. Sliding the dome edge into the trim channel.

image_zps0ef16bb6.jpg

Make sure it's exactly where you want it. Once the E-6000 cures it's very hard to get back off.

Now the bottom trim.

image_zps866b2f57.jpg

I use a small bead of E-6000 on this trim as well.

image_zpsc79aae85.jpg

Then I place the trim where it goes.

image_zps566f4e49.jpg

I work it around the bucket making sure it bottoms out and also clamping it every little bit to help hold it where it goes. When I reach the other side I trim it so that it goes together tight. I use E-6000 to mate the two ends together.

image_zps05420072.jpg

For this build I have added a padding tutorial on MEPD for the helmets. They're not very good and I don't recommend even looking at them. So I will not be adding that part to this thread. Trust me your not missing anything. I'm not good at making padding and will buy knee pads from now on. Don't go to look. You've been warned.

Here are both buckets I have finished. Notice one is ANH which I will weather to be a Sandtrooper and one is ESB.

image_zps4eb27557.jpg

Now that the helmets are done I'm going to do armor now starting with the chest and back plates. First I took the little one to a dance store and got her a thick one piece bodysuit. I'm not sure of the brand but I think it was around 40$. I also got her some black gloves at a department store. They were 4$. Also she's very thin and tall for 6 years old. She's 53" tall and 52 lbs. So this armor is going to go together very easily for her. I have to only trim about .5" from each piece and very little from the ends of only a few. Almost like it was custom built for her.

I start by placing the chest plate on her and taping it in place.

image_zpsd5b9f60b.jpg

Then I mark where to trim her shoulders. I want it about 1/2" from the front of her neck.

image_zps52db186e.jpg

I put on the back plate and mark the sides of both front and back.

image_zpse4659f77.jpg

I tape the plates together at the shoulders and mark the back plat about 2" from the front plate shoulder mark.

image_zpsb97ed612.jpg

Now I make sure the marks on the chest and back plates look about right. It's a little difficult to measure them so I just eyeball it.

image_zps7ab16a84.jpg

Now the shoulder bells. They look just about ideal so I don't do much more than clean up the edges where I trimmed them.

image_zpscf3c0f6b.jpg

With the shoulder bells taped in place I put the biceps on her. I keep in mind that I want all of the seams of every piece of armor to be turned inwards. I tape them closed once I have them adjusted how I like them. I make sure the return edges are going to match up well. Then I find the middle of the two edges of the inner and outer shells. I mark it at the top and the bottom. I then measure back .5" from the mark toward the back and mark the inner shell top and bottom.

image_zpsac63191a.jpg

Now I have her bend her elbow so that it holds the bicep in place and I tape it to the shoulder bell

image_zps117a1a1b.jpg

I use the same technique I used for the biceps for the forearms.

image_zps4eeb9b42.jpg

Then I make sure it all lines up good.

image_zps0502ae41.jpg

image_zpse6dc0f93.jpg

This photo shows the inner shell mark being .5" toward the outside. Once trimmed I'll use this extra strip of plastic to glue the she'll halves together.

image_zps8fc9a44d.jpg

Now I connect the two marks with a straight edge. This is the line I will cut on.

image_zpsfdf94b91.jpg

image_zpsbb0c9152.jpg

Instead of making her stand while I mark up the other arms armor I simply line up the pieces end to end making sure that they are corresponding edges and that the bump ridge matches. Then I transfer the marks. The marks should mirror each other so that when trimmed and glued the pieces will be the same sizes.

image_zpseade7543.jpg

So that I don't get confused which pieces go together I mark them left or right.

image_zpsab46d279.jpg

image_zps3c2cbb33.jpg

Now I start cutting. I use a hobby knife an score along the lines I drew.

image_zps08ad1ab4.jpg

Edited by wolfman

After I score along my pencil line I fold it over at the score line until it snaps off.

image_zpsb8be5744.jpg

For the ends and return edges I use a pair of plastic scissors, that I got from a hobby shop, to just snip up to the scored line.

image_zps1c896474.jpg

Just for recognition sake:

Return edge

image_zps6be0aa5f.jpg

Is an edge that gives a visual "thickness" to the plastic. These edges will show so if you need to trim a piece of armor shorter you'll want to do it from a bottom edge so that it's not as obvious. For instance grieves (calves) should be trimmed from the bottom and the trim line should follow the original line. I may be getting ahead of myself though.

After the trimming in order to make the cut as straight as I can I run it lightly on my belt sander.

image_zpsf3bd97d3.jpg

Then to get the melted bits off I slide my hobby knife along the edge making a clean edge.

image_zpsed837c7a.jpg

Now I lightly sand the edges with 220 grit paper and knockdown the pointy corners so that they don't poke after the piece is built.

image_zpsed0fb82d.jpg

image_zps9bfc76c3.jpg

A quick test fit.

image_zpsc66da875.jpg

I sand off the shine about a 1/4" or so along the edge to guarantee a good bond with the glue.

I marked about where for the photo.

image_zps7bda002b.jpg

image_zpsc8f202d4.jpg

The inside of the receiving piece is sanded as well.

image_zps6f1ca92c.jpg

I run a thin bead of E-6000 along the inside edge.

image_zps4a597260.jpg

Put the two haves together making sure the edge lines up with the overlap mark I made when sizing.

image_zps9093e7a0.jpg

All pieces go together very easily so far.

I clamp the seam and tape the middle of the seam down so that it's good and tight all the way down. Careful fitting of the seam now will ensure that the cover strips lay down nicely later.

image_zps45dcf142.jpg

image_zps5846676d.jpg

Repeating all the same for the forearms.

image_zpsfb485679.jpg

image_zpseed0f521.jpg

Now I trim the back and chest plates. Starting with the shoulders.

image_zps749cc44a.jpg

Now the sides.

image_zps42988cf9.jpg

I then clean up the edges and round over the points using 220 grit paper. I also make sure that I like the neckline. I just eyeball the pieces. I make small adjustments with the sandpaper.

Now that I have the pieces all glued up and let them completely dry, I'm going to add some rivets. Probably not necessary for a kids build but I figured I might as well. It gives the pieces some real strength and a finished feel.

Forearms.

I'm using 1/4" inch long and 1/8" diameter rivets so I drill a 1/8" hole about an inch from each end and one in the middle.

image_zpsc9ffd3bb.jpg

image_zps8f9c50e9.jpg

image_zps8a3260f1.jpg

Then I stick a rivet into the hole.

image_zps2a96f47c.jpg

Placing the rivet into the tool I ratchet it down until the it pops.

image_zpsa28ccca3.jpg

I repeat this until all the rivets are in place

image_zps453b2407.jpg

For the biceps I only use two rivets.

image_zps2af79c01.jpg

Here's what the rivet looks like inside the piece.

image_zpsc5392e46.jpg

Walt sends some strips of plastic for cover strips. He recommends 7mm wide cover strips for the arms. However, I used 10mm wide because I thought it looked better.

I cut some strips of the strips down to 10mm wide.

image_zpsc8fb635e.jpg

I fold it at the seam I made with my hobby knife so that it snaps.

image_zpsaecefe68.jpg

I place a strip over the rivets flush at one end of the seam. I mark it at the other end.

image_zpsa10b2bd5.jpg

I cut it across at the line and then cut off the edges to make it look clean.

image_zps53d360a5.jpg

I run a bead of glue down the center of the strip

image_zps3f556fdf.jpg

I place it over the rivets and along the seam. I clamp it in place and allow the glue to fully dry.

image_zps52165f16.jpg

• 1 month later...

This is Charlie who is positive he's prettier than whatever I'm taking pictures of.

image_zps2ae0dc73.jpg

I sand down the edges on the ab and cod piece and the kidney plate and but plate. Other than that they only need final fitting.

I'm going to start by trimming out the inside go the grieves.

image_zps9fef3db2.jpg

I'll cut along the line I drew using a pair of plastic scissors.

image_zps7ec08997.jpg

Then I clean it up and round out the corners with the rotary tool

image_zpsd743b4b4.jpg

I did this with all the leg pieces.

Now I trim down the belt. I run it on my sander until the sides are are only about 1/8" thick. Notice how much more flex able it is now.

image_zpsaff5c255.jpg

I do the same with the knee plates,buttons and drop boxes.

We start the final fitting by taping the ab plat tightly to her.

image_zps2fe4dff2.jpg

Now the kidney and butt plates. I tape them all together and make sure everything's lined up and where I want it once it's strapped up.

image_zps12256556.jpg

image_zps720d1b80.jpg

I mark the point where I want them to meet up. Lined up and centered under her armpit.

image_zpsd0fecbb7.jpg

I follow the same line down to the but and cod plates.

image_zps5e3bc3e3.jpg

Once all that's all marked up I can start on they thighs. I just put them around her leg paying attention to try and line up the top an bottoms once I cut it. I tape the front ad squeeze the back together until the "tightness" is about right. I leave it loose for movement.

Then I tape it up about where I'd like it to hang just to make sure it looks good.

image_zps533e703d.jpg

image_zpsd5be2ed6.jpg

I slide the thigh back off and mark them in the center of the tops and bottom. I do it both front and back.

image_zpsfd65ee15.jpg

This is where I will cut.

The grieves. I first match up the pairs. Make sure they're right because There is a left and right. I line up and tape them together in the front.

image_zps20ecb3a2.jpg

I place it on her.

image_zps94aac1b6.jpg

I turn her around and squeeze it together until I like the size. Not too loose or too tight.

image_zps802d2567.jpg

Now I mark it like I did the thighs.

image_zps601d5be3.jpg

I mark the bottom.

image_zps2a658f04.jpg

I measure from the top to where I'd like the top of the grieve to be, about 1". I then transfer that to the bottom to be cut later.

image_zps79d7759f.jpg

image_zps186435f5.jpg

It should be mentioned that I did the arms using OVERLAPPING joints method and for the legs I'll be using BUTT joints. Rottie made his armor for use with the BUTT joint method in mind. So you'll probably find that easier to use.

I start the final trimming by laying a metal ruler across from the two marks I made and cutting along the edge with a hobby knife. Then bend the cut at the mark and snap it off for a clean cut. I do this on all pieces.

image_zpsb2f26694.jpg

image_zps4dcea0bb.jpg

image_zpsa60c1fc2.jpg

After all the trimming is done I measure and cut strips of plastic about .5" wide to glue on the inside of the butt joint.

Grieves. I start by measuring with a piece of the .5" wide material. I go about 1/8th" from the bottom.

image_zps6fa0f04e.jpg

To about 1/8" from the detail at the top.

image_zps861956df.jpg

I cut it at the marks then nip off the corners at about 45*.

image_zps0acb1753.jpg

I run a small bead of glue along the inside edge of one side of the grieve.

image_zpsacb4e6fd.jpg

I place and clamp the piece of plastic on the inside so that half of it is still sticking out for the other half to be glued to it.

image_zps39d4b9df.jpg

I put the other half on the strip and clamp it.

image_zpsa155810d.jpg

This is what it looks like when done.

image_zps47b8d8dc.jpg

A nice straight flush joint.

I do the same to only one side of the back of the grieve. I don't glue the other side. That will get a strip of Velcro to close it.

For the thighs I do the same but seal up both front and back.

image_zps1dc87296.jpg

While I'm waiting for the E-6000 to cure I decided to put together the Thermal Detonator. I know Sandtroopers don't use Thermal Detonators but I'm trying to show the full build for TDs and TKs.

The pieces.

image_zpsec56e740.jpg

First I take the piece of 1.5" PVC that Rottie provides and I taper the ends on my belt sander to help the ends fit on.

image_zpsc0dc7fc1.jpg

You can see the slight taper.

image_zpsd78024dd.jpg

Now I run a thin bead of E-6000 along the top edge of the PVC

image_zps331e5260.jpg

Then I put the end cap on.

image_zps7c00f72d.jpg

image_zpsd5a0a618.jpg

I take the Thermal Detonators control panel and mark where I wanted to trim it.

image_zps06652194.jpg

I then cut it on the lines

I put E-6000 an the back of the control panel. I glue it to the PVC centered in between the end caps.

image_zpsf06466c0.jpg

No I tape it all tight.

image_zpsbb36e683.jpg

No I'll cut out the TD ab and belt buttons.

I mark with a pencil so you can see where I cut.

image_zpsd4082d3c.jpg

image_zps939e2d34.jpg

Now that the glue has set overnight I'm going to trim the bottom of the grieves where I marked them.

image_zps15a4448d.jpg

image_zpsb9a628da.jpg

I decide to hand draw lines to match the look on regular sized armor. The top of the curve is the 1" mark I made.

I do this to both grieves.

image_zps185b0cf8.jpg

image_zpsde534ec2.jpg

image_zpsbaa0bbd0.jpg

I use plastic scissors to cut along the line.

image_zpsf3b95ee3.jpg

image_zpsfdf90d70.jpg

Now the cover strips. Over every front facing joint there'll be a 10mm strip. On the back will be 15mm strips.

I cut 4 strips of 10mm and 4 of the 15mm.

I start one piece at the top of the grieve right under the detail.

image_zps406aa256.jpg

Then hold it along the seam and mark it at the bottom.

image_zps8aa056ec.jpg

I cut it at the marks and nip off the corners.

image_zps55de18e8.jpg

image_zpsa183937b.jpg

Now I lay the strip on a piece of tape and run a thin bead of E-6000 down the center.

image_zps4b2f9228.jpg

Then I center the strip on top of the seam.

image_zps4c864675.jpg

I tape the strip down tight with several strips of tape.

image_zps6ffc9e91.jpg

I repeat this for all the seams using 10mm for the front and 15mm for the back.