Is this a real M38 or not!

capttripps

OK I found a scope for sale, and when I asked for pictures this is what I got. Now to me it looks very close. The only thing that truly gives my pause is the front lens shroud looks way too long. Everything else seems to line up.

What do you guys think? Legit and just a variation or total BS?

iDmmGfkl.jpgTASVNkml.jpg3KRjMw9l.jpgMehXHMKl.jpg3JSG8NFl.jpg3JSG8NFl.jpgPyQ93d8l.jpgyUEZWpal.jpgewftTD1l.jpg0oqZZonl.jpg

The lettering on the large end of the scope should read TELESCOPE M38 with some other letters/numbers....it looks as though a light diffuser/ filter/ anti glare shroud has been attached/screwed on...Vern (TKBondservant) will probably know more about this...

Edited by Oztrooper

Well I agree that it is a real Sherman scope. The issue is from when? it looks like a M38A2 that is modified. I guess the next question would be has anyone dealt with this kind of mod, and how much of PITA it would be to make original?

I am guessing that the person will have sold it by the time I can gather enough info to make an educated purchase, but some one else in the future can benefit from any info gathered here.

I more think this "mod" was done by the army. Look at the paint, it looks like camouflage as it got used on some 75mm AT guns.

I think its more possible that this scope was used on such a  cannon as on a Tank.

Here's a link for example:

-----------

Edited by gmrhodes13
link not working removed

I believe it screws into the inside threads on the large end of the scope much like a camera lens filter does on a SLR...without actually having the scope in front of you to examine it I cannot be certain....I do know these were originally tank-spotting scopes used by the Military....if you were able to look through the small end of the scope (it is a telescope)  then you would be able to determine what the extension actually provides in term of function....

I think Ill just pic it up if he still has it and strip off the paint and see whats what. Worse case I have an example of what not to buy best case a second M38. The owner says he pulled it off a Sherman that was being dropped as an artificial reef. Although Turrican coulds be right about it being part of an AA Gun since you do not see a lot of gray painted scopes in the Army LOL.