Cracked armor! How do I fix it?! :^(

I test fitted my armor the other day. You can see pictures on my Magma Trooper build thread under "Other 501st costumes." As I put on my right shin armor piece, I heard a loud cracking sound, and felt something give way. I didn't see it at first, so I didn't think anything of it and continued to put on the rest of my armor.

I made the horrible discovery earlier tonight and panic set in, because I promised myself (and my Garrison) I'd make it to Granitecon this month as their first Magma.

Here are a couple pictures of the damage. Any way I could fix this? I was thinking I could add a piece of plastic to the inside of the armor, and use some kind of adhesive to fuse the pieces together, but I'm at a loss at what adhesive to use. Zap-A-Gap has failed me before, so I don't trust it with this particular piece of armor.

brZFCj9.jpg

3eD7YIb.jpg

Edited by Sly11
Edited to restore images Sly11 2021

Lol if you have armor problems just talk to me. Sand the area with around 200 grit, get some scrap abs the length of the crack and wide enough the join the sides. Sand the contact side. Get a metal ruler or equivalent and a heat gun, heat it up and fold it with the ruler enough to fit the curve then glue it in with e6 or abs paste. Then fill in the crack with abs paste and smooth it over. sand until smooth, then finish it by sanding with a finer grit like 400 to 500 and paint/clear it or just go 1000 grit and polish it to a shine.

inb4 someone says just contact the maker for new pieces.

Edited by DizzyStormtrooper

Sounds do-able. I'll order the supplies tomorrow on eBay (gotta do it soon in time for the con). Thanks again, dude. For this, and your advice on fixing my TD. I'll hit you up if I ever have anymore problems.  :salute:

Edited by SolidScrafty

There's a tutorial on how to make abs paste somewhere around here. if you really really can't do it in time there's always clear packaging tape for the outside and duct tape on the inside. They make red duct tape but Idk if it's the same shade as the armor. The public isn't going to be checking out your legs. Mostly they look at the helmets, chest, blaster, abs, the fact that you're there pretty much. It's when they see your face or Velcro popping out somewhere that takes the fantasy out of perspective lol

I'll look around for it. I'm going to give it an honest attempt, but I'll use the packaging tape if it doesn't work out. My Hasbro blaster hasn't been modified yet, so I'm bringing the lightsaber for this one. That'll help distract 'em. Yeah yeah, non-canon I know...but I'm not a member of the 501st, nor am I going to be representing the 501st, at least not for this troop.