TK Boots - White conversion AS/NZS 2210.3 Jackaroo + Olympic slides

A blast from the past: memories of having this Shoe restorer around years ago- Thought I'd do a workboot to TK boot conversion  (Remember the Adidas Rome sneakers in the 80's?)

Material: 1 Pair of Jackaroo workboots AS/NZS 2210.3 from K-Mart Australia for approximately $34

2 KIWI Sport: white leather restorer 100ml- about $9

1 KIWI Neutral Shoe Polish 38g- about $4

1 mixed shoe brush- $1.80

After putting the 1st coat on it became apparent that this may take a few coats over time, I'm pretty much getting an idea of the strength of the sport restorer on black boots. If that produces weak results i'll try coating the boots with the KIWI (natural) and then try the KIWI (sport) again. This was a spur of the moment thing, so I figured it was worth giving a try. I know its not a paint job conversion but i'm gonna give it a go... 

--------------

Edited by gmrhodes13
link not working removed

It might actually work well, I tried using a mix of this and Angelus acrylic paint. The mix was bad, but the shoewhitener did a good job covering the black...I suggest using masking tape;-)

those boots will not be approved with a standard TK

the seams in front are not approved.

throw them in the bin.

Edited by TK Bondservnt 2392

I found these Olympus casual loafers at  'Spendless Shoes' in Bendigo (Vic-Aus) they were 30 bucks and I thought they would complement my then recently acquired Rubies Death Trooper costume (Halloween Zombie!). {Mr Tommy Katz had to get in the photo!}

-----------

Edited by gmrhodes13
link not working removed

those boots will not be approved with a standard TK

the seams in front are not approved.

throw them in the bin.

I agree with you that those boots aren't a good choice (soles, heel and the stiching/extra layer of leather), and I am not aiming at beginning a big discussion, but if I read the CRL, I cannot see that they won't be accepted for standard TK approval...only for CEN...

"For 501st approval:

White leather or leather-like, above ankle height, with a flat sole with a short heel, and small U-shaped elastic sections on both sides of the ankle with no buckles or laces. Jodhpur/Chelsea-type boots or an equivalent style is acceptable. Elvis or Mariachi boots are not allowed.

For level two certification (if applicable):

For level three certification (if applicable):

There shall be no seam on the front of the boot (e.g. CABoots are not allowed).

Boots shall be lightly scuffed."

Edited by SorenM

ok. there is one standard TK boot and NONE of the examples fit.

this is not a place where we allow substandard materials and design go away from accuracy.

none of these boots will clear GML standards.

who's gonna wear slippers on a DT?

death troopers don wear em?

why would you?:

no way I''d wear short slippers and call em DT

ok. there is one standard TK boot and NONE of the examples fit.

this is not a place where we allow substandard materials and design go away from accuracy.

none of these boots will clear GML standards.

I agree Vern, but then I think that it has to be clarified in the CRL..:-).I see a lot of questions about which boots are allowed in here...

And I think we agree that there are several different boots to choose from, that all look like the originals, but with slight variations....:-)..

Edited by SorenM

-------------

this is what a TK boot needs to look like.

a 501st GML willl not approve boots with weird shapes and seams.

the 501 is about accuracy, not the CRL

the CRL does not describe the full details... the GML team knows what a proper boot needs to look,

the 501 does not approve boots that don't conform to the screen used format.

Edited by gmrhodes13
link not working removed

twR0hRw.jpg

I would clear those.  too bad none of the other boots would clear.

again... every element matters.

we do not allow "close enough"

the 501 demands accuracy even at the base level.

Thanks for the feedback guys, I agree these boots aren't clearly what is required by 501st references however they still demonstrate diversity in non-canon. It's just a mini project illustrating the process' therein. The boots fit and they were there, so I seized the opportunity to trooperise them; that is all, I concur with your points of references.

twR0hRw.jpg

I would clear those.  too bad none of the other boots would clear.

again... every element matters.

we do not allow "close enough"

the 501 demands accuracy even at the base level.

I am well aware of all the accuracy requirements Vern..:-).... That is why I have chosen these boots, and made such an effort on my blaster etc. But thanks for pointing them out.. ( the other boots I showed are just as "clearable". Btw.:-))..I would actually say that the ones I have shown are more accurate than the TKBoots...because of the leathersoles and being painted white...

the original poster of this thread shows boots with seams

soren... you need to keep track of the context of the thread.

the second poster shows slippers for a DT.

only soren has the correct boots.

well... I have 3 pairs of TK boots... so what do I know?

mine are approved.

I'd approve soren's boots...

You are totally right with the boots Vern. But if Michael likes to post some pics of his boot painting..why not? We have a lot of doopy builds and we all know how to build a doopy blaster, right?;)

Cheers..

Clearly there are shortfalls of materiál availability and references to that end vary between region and trooper. 

No need to throw the boots in the trash, they are looking better and better- I'll post some pictures to show my conversion progress on my White(Workboots) for those who stumble across & are interested in what I have to say. Its not a paint conversion per-se i'm doing here, its merely a conversion utilising easily sourced products. The locus of discussion need not be ascernable with the rigidity of materiál constraints and the need to validate every item and post as canon.

I really like my white leather loafers, they are high quality and provide an excellent fit, they will continue to be a pairing with my ZombieTK perhaps with a pair of Jackaroo workboots.

Clearly there are shortfalls of materiál availability and references to that end vary between region and trooper. 

No need to throw the boots in the trash, they are looking better and better- I'll post some pictures to show my conversion progress on my White(Workboots) for those who stumble across & are interested in what I have to say. Its not a paint conversion per-se i'm doing here, its merely a conversion utilising easily sourced products. The locus of discussion need not be ascernable with the rigidity of materiál constraints and the need to validate every item and post as canon.

I really like my white leather loafers, they are high quality and provide an excellent fit, they will continue to be a pairing with my ZombieTK perhaps with a pair of Jackaroo workboots.

Michael you are right, there are shortfalls :-)...but the boots you are converting now have issues when it comes to both the stiching and several layers of leather, as well as the general,shape of the sole......requirements that are quite clearly stated in the CRL.....

My initial comment was solely aimed at your use of regular shoewhitener.....:-)

Hi Vern + Soren. I today have sourced 2 different pairs of Chelsea boots in my regional area, they are clearly within the guidelines of 501st- so I'm excited about that.

The boots have the seam under the elastic as Vern eluded too, they are closer to Verns boots than yours Soren except they dont have the extended 70's style collar at the top of the boot.They are black leather so they will need a conversion. The second pair of Chelsea's I found raised a red flag to me after reading your posts on the stitching. On this pair the stitching on the outerside of the boot is correct to 501st as in its vertical and below the elastic, but on the inner-side of the boot the stitching is not vertical more-so 45degrees / however the stitching is well recessed towards the back of the boot. Like I said it raised a red-flag in my mind but they look ridgy-didge.  Just as soon as I get one or both of these chelsea's I'll post some pics here and do a trooper conversion on them. regards....