Armor durability

Does anyone know about how long armor lasts? With it being plastic, does it get brittle after 5, 10, 15 years? I realize it depends on the type and thickness of your armor, but I'm wondering what the "shelf-life" is. I have an AP kit built last year, so I expect many years of use to come.

What have you all experienced?

It really depends upon how you clean and store your armor.

you don't want any creams or polishes made for cars or elements that have caustics like ammonia or solvents.

plastic is pourous and allows the entry of metals from polishes which then can penetrate and oxidise.

always use novus 1 2 or 3 to clean and polish ABS plastics.

PVC and HIPS are much different and still must use neutral kinds of polish and cleaners.

I've got my armor all dirtied up as a Sandtrooper, so adding polish won't be an issue. I keep the armor out of direct sunlight and dry.

Does the armor itself degrade? How long has your armor lasted?

What vern said, plus stored in a cool dark place like a storage bin. I am concerned more with the armor yellowing than cracking. Some where on here a guy had an old fx suit that sat in a box for years in kit form, the amor was still shiny and white, but outdated.

Exposure to UV light causes ABS plastic to yellow and break down over time. How long depends upon how much exposure you get, I imagine. I'm really not sure how fast it happens, but I think if you store your armor in a closed bin and don't go on too many parades, it should last a good long while. (note that fluorescent bulbs...including CFL's...also emit UV light)

Stress cracks are also another hazard of trooping. But those can often be repaired.  

If you care for your armor, it will probably last as long as your desire to wear it and/or your ability to fit into it. 

Edited by fritzthefox

my armor is AP and was from late 2008.  the armor is scratched, dirty and even has cracks on the return edges of the chestplate, and upper ABdomen.

return edges don't like stress along the horizontal axis.  it caused the cracks at the returns from bending the part too far.

eventually I'll polish up the armor, and fix the cracks.

I just have 4 helmets, 3 blasters and about 15 holsters to make before I tend to my own kit!