Nerf Gun Weathering Gods.... You're my only hope.

SmilesLikeJoker

We have a squadron event Friday evening that is going to involve lots of water ballons, water guns, and nerf guns.  Yesterday the boss was wanting everyone to have some type of shield.  Even though price was more motivation than creativity, I picked up some paint pans, painted them black, and added zip ties to use as handles.  I brought them this morning and my office loved them.  Now...they've picked up some nerf guns and would like them painted to look awesome.  Guess who they asked to it?

If I'm going to do this, I would like to do this right.  I only have two afternoons to paint 3 guns.  Luckily no motorized guns are allowed so I don't have to worry about any electronics.  Here is what I picked up at lunch:

Plastic primer spray paint

Brilliant silver spray paint

Flat black spray paint

Oil-rub bronze spray paint (I just like the look of it)

Steel wool - 1

Steel wool - 00

General Plan?

Primer

Paint silver

Paint black or bronze

Weather with steel wool

Am I on the right track?  Believe me when I say any guidance is much appreciated.

Thanks!

Patrick

You're exactly on the right track. If you can find hammered black spray paint at your local home improvement store... it'll give your nerf guns a little bit more of a metal look. However you may need to spray some flat clear over it because it ends up a little glossy. 

Check your local laws about orange tips on toy guns if you take that party outside.

-Eric

I seen the Hammered black spray paint.  I didn't pick it up because, as you said, it seemed a tad glossy.  I didn't even think about spraying the flat over it lol.

As far as the steel wool goes, which size would probably be better?  The 1 or the 00?

I usually paint it flat or satin black, then use a silver paint marker, and hit all of the common wear areas.

Blater_comparison_final_010.JPG

This would have been so much faster lolol. 

It's a learning experience for me.  I've already made some painting fubars.  I'm off to build my mini paint booths so I can actually hang the pieces and finish painting.  Some of the parts stuck to the plastic sheet and others were ruined from flipping.  I have to fix those first lol.  Three mini paint booths for $12 :)

Edited by SmilesLikeJoker

Personally, I always painted it assembled, with the exception of an MG-42, and that's because I painted the barrel silver separately so it would show up as contrast in photos.

----------------

I never have done an overcoat, but it shouldn't burt if you did.

Edited by gmrhodes13
link not working removed