Mic problems

Hey I recently purchased some armour and when i received it, it had already had some type of headset configuration. In the first picture there is that foreign object to me, I'm not sure if that is a mic or what purpose it has in the helmet. Under that material is a wire running from that and wires running from the mic tips. In the second picture you can see the circuit board and that's how it looked when i received it. When you twist the dial to turn it on there is a faint static sound that comes from the tips. My question is ; What the hell is missing to get this working? If anyone knows if i'm missing something ( pretty sure the middle thing is not a mic and i'm missing a mic) what kind of mic should i get and where would i get it? 

post-18217-0-86007500-1366152044_thumb.jpg

post-18217-0-40770800-1366152051_thumb.jpg

Looks like a Radio shack kit. The black thing in the first pic should be your mic. Make sure it's plugged in all the way. You can test it by tapping your finger on it to see if sound comes out the speakers. Make sure the battery is good.

I would suggest scrapping it and going with an Aker setup. You can get the amps as well as the iComm unit (static radio burst sounds) from: http://tkproductsllc.net/. He is a 501st member and stand up guy. You can search for his sales threads here too.

The Aker has it's own speaker. Get regular mic tips. There are several different options on where to wear/mount the amp. Search the forums. I wear mine behind me via the neck strap. It fits better there than under the front chest piece. I have the 12 watt version, which is a bit thicker than the 10 watt version. It will sound fine most anywhere you mount it. Experiment and see what works for you (check volume, wearablilty, and feedback).

• 2 weeks later...

Because I have limited chest space (all that I have is being used by a small pouch for some small items like a key or phone) and because it resonated a lot while wearing on my chest, I painted my Aker white and hang it on my belt on the right side of me. It's not exactly canon so I wouldn't be doing it during canon events, but other than that it works pretty well :)