RS and AM Armor Questions

Hi Everyone,

I'm just starting out so I hope this is the right place to post this.  I'm interested in building ANH armor and have been researching on which vendor to use.  

I'm torn between AM armor from tupperwaretk and RS Prop Masters.  And as a 5'6" lady of a smaller build, is there a better route to go?  Especially with the different options offered at RS?

Any help is appreciated :)

Well, AM doesn't exist anymore... TupperwareTK sells NE armor now. I am 98% done with my NE set and it's good stuff. Having said that you'll be trimming a lot off of any kit since you're so short. It all depends on what your budget is, and how accurate you want to be.  I'm 6'2" 225 lbs and fit the NE with trimming. I have no experience with RS, but the NE is super thick plastic, very sturdy.

RS is made for someone about 5 foot 7 and 150 pounds.  Skinny 70's English actor build.

That being said I am 6 foot 1 and 230 pounds and the RS fit fine, though the torso needed side shims.

The untrimmed kit I got from them had lots of extra plastic on the legs and arms so fit me fine.  If you have really really big arms and legs it may need some shimming.

The plastic is 1.5 mm PVC which is shiney white, or 1.5mm ABS which is a little off white.

The PVC tends to be more resilient, but the ABS is easier to repair cracks in if they happen.

If you want prop replica its RS as their suit is directly molded from a real suit, with some parts that were missing on the real suit molded by them.

I have no experience with NE.

-----------

Edited by gmrhodes13
link not working removed

I have no experience with the NE suit, but just finished an RS PVC kit.

From what I've read, the NE suit has longer parts to accommodate bigger body types.

As written above, the RS suit is molded directly from a an original one used in ANH (a new hope)

It is built for slim body types, but can also be adapted to larger ones.

Generally you can fit into either, but would be easier to do so in the RS suit.

The choice between PVC and ABS is as written above, primarily a color difference with some durability differences. In general it's a subjective choice.

Edited by Echo

Well, AM doesn't exist anymore... TupperwareTK sells NE armor now. I am 98% done with my NE set and it's good stuff. Having said that you'll be trimming a lot off of any kit since you're so short. It all depends on what your budget is, and how accurate you want to be.  I'm 6'2" 225 lbs and fit the NE with trimming. I have no experience with RS, but the NE is super thick plastic, very sturdy.

Im glad the NE set is good i just bought one and I am the same height and weight as you so thats awesome!!! 

• 4 weeks later...

Guys with the NE armour what is the Quality of the buckets like?

reading the coments about the old AM "Helmet is a bit larger than scree-derived, and the face is the least accurate acceptable (though the dome is fine)" I was thinking of ordering a lite kit and source a bucket from another supplier.

Appreciate the feedback.