LFL: Requesting Pictures by Local/Area Landmarks by April 22nd

HeloTrooper

Got wind of this over at my Garrison site... thought some of you might want to participate.  Please read below from Mary Franklin at LFL

"Good evening/morning/afternoon:

We are hoping to celebrate the worldwide community of Star Wars fans in a special way this year, on SW.com, with your pictures, taken by your local and area landmarks. I'm sending you this email because I believe you are creative and might have great ideas for pictures. Some of you have blogs and websites you can post this request on and share it with your clubs and friends, and we'd love it if you would.

All of your pictures need to come with the attached form, signed by you. You can use one form for multiple pictures, but you need to list all the pictures on the form.

Here's the easy list:
Share this email with your Star Wars friends.
Take pictures in your Star Wars costumes with your local landmarks.
Turn in the pictures with a signed copy of this form (email or fax) to
fanevents@starwars.com, or 1-415-623-1107 (FAX: Attn: Mary Franklin).
You can start turning them in at any time. The sooner the better!
The deadline is April 22nd to turn in pictures. But we'll start putting them up soon after we get them
Be sure to name the landmark, and area/city/country.
Have Fun, and May the 4th Be With You!

Mary Franklin
Sr. Events Lead
Lucasfilm"

Please shoot me a PM with your e-mail if you want me to send you the personal release form (assuming you can't get it from the upload).

For the Empire,
- Andy

LFL_PersonalRelease_13.doc

We got word from our Garrison of the following:

Don't send in any photos to LFL yet! The legal wiaver states that any photos send are property of LFL & can't be used by anyone else....EVER. The LPRO is attempting to get some clarification on this to see if the Legion can still use the photos or the person who owns the photo. Stand by for further details.

If you have already sent in photos, I would suggest you not use them for yourself until we get clarification.

Is there any additional info about that last quote (regarding the LPRO) elsewhere to follow directly? 

And yeah, personally I think that part is just meant for any advertisements or something but I guess it's better to be safe than sorry :)

Update:

Mary has informed me and Legion Command that the legal text will not in any way impact the Legion's right to use the photos in our promotional materials or social media. It is, in her words, simply there to let them do the same. I think that it is a kind of standard boilerplate to protect LFL from getting sued by the owner of the photo, and it makes giving credit on everything much simpler for them. Rather than keeping track of every different photo credit, they can put "property of LFL" on them all and be done. 
I hope that clarifies things.

Bottom line: We can keep doing whatever we want with them, and if anyone tries to tell us otherwise, we have a letter from LFL's Events Lead and 501st Liaison that says we still have free rein.

:smiley-sw013: