Dying a pair of Bass Amsterdam black boots for TK/TD

I did this a few months ago and took pics while doing it, figured I'd toss it up for people who may be interested. I have read a lot of tutorials on painting and whatnot but was always worried about how well it would hold up. I have wide feet and finding the proper boots in white have been very difficult for me so I had to go another route.

A fellow squad mate has a pair of Amsterdams for his TX and I liked how they fit and looked............................just the wrong color of course.

I looked around and decided to go with some TRG color dye/preparer. I stopped by my local Tandy leather with one of my Amsterdam boots to see if they had any advice, they adivsed that I really need to get the shiny finish off of these boots if I wanted any dye to really work. He recommended a product to help with that and I went from there.

Tandy recommended some Fiebings deglazer, to remove the glossy finish. I picked up a bottle and while it did remove the top shiny layer, I was not conviced that was enough. After I did the entire boot, I then moved to acetone to remove the finish, thoroughly.

--------

Edited by gmrhodes13
link not working removed

very nice work!

I'd have to say that using angelus leather paint did not even require deglazing.

and the paint works on elastic as well.

all you need now is a shiny sealer clear coat.

but since you went TD you used fuller's earth? and then sealed it?

Edited by TK Bondservnt 2392