Is this acceptable thigh trimming?

Is it acceptable to trim the back of the thigh like this? (see photo below) I've been thinking of cutting out the designated portion because it would solve two problems: one, that the bottom edge of halves no longer join up after I trimmed them for size and, two, I cannot bend back my leg very far because the thighs are a bit long on me. Not a lot, but enough to prevent adequate movement. Is this ok?

thigh_cut.jpg

I have cut my RS suit and my TM suit and my CFO suit the same way. Or close. I did not go quite as far up. (check my sig for links to my suits :) )

The CFO made Centurion, the TM made EIB, so I would have to say yes its acceptable!

Besides in the movies you can see the backs cut out of random TKS. Apparently it was left up to the actor as to if he wanted the backs cut out or not.

Edited by rhapsodyred99

I used a heat gun used VERY carefully to reform some of my edges, you could also use a heat sealing iron or safer on the plastic, but not so much on the hands boiling water to reform the one edge up a bit prior to cutting to give you something to hang onto.

or since you are trimming it anyway form the other edge down a bit.

the key is to do it in little stages so you don't really mess up.

OK, after cutting, the difference was not so great that I cannot deal with it. My greater quandary is getting the cover strip to lay flat across the join, which despite my best efforts still meets at enough of a point to prevent the strip from laying flush against both sides. I had the same problem with my forearms, but managed to brute force a solution. I'm not so sure that will work with the thighs.

I'm considering buying thin styrene for this cover strip, so that it will be flexible enough for the glue to hold it down on both sides. Anybody have any other ideas?

I seriously considered it, but I am not at all confident in being able to heat and shape the abs without trashing it. Many of my test efforts have ended in pretty scary piles of goo. It never struck me as predictable. I don't really want to reshape my thighs, either, as they have a decent fit now. I would have to significantly flatten them to make the edges meet nicely. So I'm fishing for alternatives before I resort to heat.

Edited by fritzthefox

The cut in your picture is a little too high. You cannot go above the out dented ridge.

Stay around 5mm down from that.

Add the Armour cover strip to the rear of that thigh.

Add a re enforcement strip to the remaining inside of your cut out.

This rear of thigh is a weak spot if you are moving to limits such as kneeling, running or going up or down stairs.

If there is a tiny gap left, add abs paste to it.

Good luck.

Just a tip with heat, little at a time and to stop warping use small pieces of would to support and help mould, can even use a piece either side if you warp anything. I did quite a bit of testing before using heat on my armor :)