How to sew ESB handplates to silk glove liners?

I have the correct hole pattern that is not the problem, my problem is I cannot seem to wrap my head around how to sew them onto the glove that basically totally deforms when you take it off of your hand. I can not sew it with my hand in it...

Do you use a curved needle like a dr uses when sewing stitches? Basically the straight needle will go too far in and can not turn if my hand is in there, and if I take my hand out the glove is floppy and I can't tell where to sew. should I trace my hand on some cardboard and try that? I think I will end um sewing the cardboard...Or do I need a smaller needle? (mine is about 1.5 inches long)

I must be making it harder than it is, as I see people going for centurion with the gloves stitched all the time, but right now I am feeling like a moron :D

Any help would be appreciated!

post some photos of the progress. it could become a nice how-to for folks that have the same question in the future (ok actually I am just neing selfish and want to see this for myself since I am putting together ESB mods for my kit) :laugh1:

Well It was too late to post a step by step, but it is super easy once you realize to turn the glove inside out, insert the handguard (make sure its the correct one!) and sew. Then flip out the glove and you are done.

I used the pattern from Troopermaster on this thread: http://www.whitearmor.net/forum/topic/4980-esb-gloves/

yxDptJU.jpg

Here are my finished gloves:

ypmEWDB.jpg

One thing I would caution is to (1) use super-strong thread, and (2) leave the threading a bit loose, especially at the top/front edge of the handplate. As you flex your hand, that area will need to move more, hence there needs to be some give somewhere.

While the stiched handguards on the gloves look great and are accurate, I've found that for a number of reasons they are not as practical as strapping the handguards to your hands and wearing nomex gloves. So depending on how you will use them (display vs trooping), you may want to consider having a set of each.

I used Heavy duty quilting thread though I did make the front a little tight. Luckily the silk glove gives there fairly well so hopefully it will do ok.

I had heard the sewn on handguards tended to break threads at the most inopportune times, which is why I held off for so long, but in the end I decided since this was an RS, I wanted Prop Replica more than Idealized, and since the rubber gloves with straps were as far as I know only used on the MK II armor, I decided to go ahead and stitch it.

Maybe I should wear them to work one day and see how they last... :laugh1:

I can see the looks now... :blink: