Another AM armor build[*AM]

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks....that's exactly how I see it. When I assembled the biceps I used what I cut off the molded overlapping edge for use as the inside shim. But i'm going with For Sale sign especially for the shins and thighs since they're longer.

By the way, trimmed away the V-cuts this morning. I like the look and I'm sure it'll give me added comfort.

6fb1b302.jpg

Edited by silverBoyd

I am building the same kit and I used the "for sale" sign on the inside shims of all of the butt joints. Biceps, forearms, shins. I used e6000 to glue the shims butt jointed. I let them cure for a few days and used the extra ABS that comes for the belt since im using a cloth belt for the cover strips. I can open them and get them around my legs without breaking the seam in the front. I have some thick shins too so it will work just fine if that was what your question was. I have put them on and off all weekend test fitting the back and havent had an issue.

Good luck man, looking great so far!

Isaac

Slow is the way to roll with it Jason.

My thoughts on mine is that I only get to build it once and this is my first. There isnt a race to the finish line. I want to be proud of each and every little part when I look at it in pictures with me wearing it. I dont think that will happen with my obsession but still. No need to rush on it. Enjoy the build buddy!

Isaac

Last night I glued on the outer cover strips for both shins. I'll post pics later once I get the clamps and what not off of them. Now just to attach the Velcro to the rear shin opening and attach the rear cover strip. I have to say, I tried patiently to try to cut the cover strips as straight as I could get them with the score n snap method....but no matter how slow I did it it still have a few flaws. I doubt anyone will be able to spot them but I know they aren't perfect. I sanded the flaws and they look better now.

On to the thigh pieces. When I did a test taping to my own thigh I noticed that the AM thighs are very long. I need to test fit the thighs while wearing my front cod piece as well as the shins I think. Fromt what I can tell, I'm going to have to trim off at least a good inch or more from the tops because as they are now I gaurantee that they will interfere with the lower torso/cod piece. But one good thing that may come from having to trim the tops of the thighs...I can now give both the left and right thigh armor tops the proper look as seen on the Sandtroopers in A New Hope. When I do trim the thigh tops I know the return edge will be gone. That's 501st acceptable right? I just don't want to go through the hassle of buying an iron to recreate return edges and risk ruining the ABS armor.

Edited by silverBoyd

. When I do trim the thigh tops I know the return edge will be gone. That's 501st acceptable right? I just don't want to go through the hassle of buying an iron to recreate return edges and risk ruining the ABS armor.

Absolutely 501st acceptable. Not only that, about the only people who will even know the difference are those who tend to hang out here. ;)

Yup, you'll want to remove the hyman there. Walk around with it for about 3 minutes and you'll see why. Everyone puts a rivet there to connect the elastic to the back of the butt piece too. So consider that before you cut. Take a look at Pandatroopers build and when he shows his strapping system you can see where he cut his.

Here are some pics of my progress so far...

MTK Helmet is 100% completed (handpainted "decals", 8 teeth cut from frown, flat dark green lenses, fan system, hard hat liner installed)

Biceps (assembled using butt-joint method w/ outer cover strips)

Shoulder Bells (return edges trimmed...length to be determined)

Forearms (return edges removed...awaiting butt-joint assembly)

Ab / Cod Piece (return edges trimmed...crotch strap rivets and Sandtrooper buttons to be added)

***Chest Piece and Ammo Belt shown were just to give me an idea of how it looked. Haven't done anything to them yet.***

87cf9161.jpg

39aa01dd.jpg

One question regarding the forearms. I've read lots of forearms where people have asked about the size of the wrist openings. I have a pair of the black latex gloves with the rubber handguards attached to them on order. Are the gloves worn before slipping on the forearms or can you put the gloves on afterwards?

Edited by silverBoyd

Forearms go on first, then you put the gloves on and get an assistant to stuff the excess into the forearm armor. So make the wrist openings as small as you can while still being able to get your ungloved hand through.

Thanks...that was the answer I was looking for. I was trying to imaging being able to stuff the lower half of gloves inside the forearm. Think I may try to work on the forearms tonight.

Here are some shots of the first trimming of my forearm. Seems like I need to taper the cuts of (1) of the forearm halves to be able to bring the wrists in nicely. I took an inch from both sides and they're too opened @ the wrists.

ac18946d.jpg

94176041.jpg

8721cc94.jpg

Just took the clamps off from the sniper plate. Looks good. I tried on my shin and I am glad that the E6000 and the butt-joint shims hold on nicely and the shin open up quite a bit for me.

166d3e2e.jpg

Also, I hit up my local fabric store and picked up my heavy duty snaps for all of my armor strapping as well as some white canvas that I will cut to size and stitch the edges for my Sandtrooper shoulder straps. I'll have plenty more canvas leftover so I may do a run of canvas straps in the future. I'll keep you all posted if I do that.

e7690232.jpg

Edited by silverBoyd

ya man,

you can trim a lot from the wrist part of the forearm.

I would cut somewhere along the line I drew here... and then if you are butt joining them then trim the overlap down a little and use the "forsale" sign under it to glue each side to. Then you will glue the cover stip over the seam..

8721cc94.jpg

Hi Jason,

Looks like you've made a good start. I did the same with my AM shins cover strips on both sides of the front of the shin. I would advise to buy some more ABS sheets from a craft shop / website to ensure a secure bond with the shin pieces. Once it has been glued and gone off it is suprising how strong the butt joint is. Strong enough for you to open it up to go over your shin / boots.

Also your right taking some of the material off the tops of the back of the shins will really help with comfort when moving about

Ian

I got the Velcro and cover strip on the rear of my right shin but i just tried on the left shin (which also has my TD sniper knee plate) and I'm finding that every step I take....the sniper kneeplate hits my knee. Anyone else have this problem? I'm thinking I may also have to come up with a way to add an inner shim perhaps. The fronts are already glued and cured and I think i need to come up with a way to add an iner shin to the inside of my left shin. Any ideas? I feel like the back is just closing around my calf. I'm worried that it won't look good if it doesn't close all the way.

My wife helped me size up the forearms again. I haven't trimmed them yet. Wanted to get an ok that they look ok. Also decided to throw on my bicep and MTK helmet just for fun. Feels like the forearms fit better and I don't think I'll have to taper the cuts. What you think?

a3b2b0d0.jpg

09b37f80.jpg

de1c6502.jpg

7ee3c52b.jpg

Still looks a little too big at the wrists, especially in that last photo. When fitted properly, you should just barely be able to get your ungloved hand in/out.

Your bicep needs to be rotated about another 90 degrees. The U shape will go up into the armpit. When you look at the bicep there is a formed ridge that matches the ridge on the shoulder bell. Those should line up. Think of it like this... the "thumbprint" circle should face your ribcage. .