Searching for Stuff on the FISD Forums

Darth Aloha

ZeroRoom can attest to the fact that I have done nothing but whine and moan about the FISD search function for the last year. While I like to blame him for everything web related (he needs to remedy my online banking experience already!), it really is the fault of the forum software not our webmister.

Most of the time I know the information is there but cannot find the exact thing I want. Here are two ways I increase the my likely hood of finding the information I'm looking for:

1. Search only in topic titles
  2. Display results as posts not as a list of topics

Step 1: Click on the advanced search cog

Step 2: Change the "Match" pulldown from "Search title and content" to "Search only in titles"

Step 3: Search your butt off (ensuring that your armor still fits after the butt removal via search)

A good example of the usefulness of changing this paramater is looking for resin blaster builds. I searched for "resin" only by title and found what I was looking for. Snaps, strapping, rivet, holster, kidney, shin etc.... these words are so ingrained in our TK vernacular, only searching the titles will usually return a post where someone asked a direct question about them.

If I am looking for a very generic term not found in a title, I will display results as posts not topic lists.

Step 2: Change the "Display Results" radio button from "As topic list" to "As posts"

I use the search by author thing sometimes when I know who posted the information I seek

Please do search and search and search before asking. As a group we are more than willing to answer any and all questions, but with a little patience basic things can easily be found here on the forums.

Aloha nui,

-Eric

Good work Eric. :) I'll bet a lot of people get confused by all the advanced options for searches..I know I was for a while (but I was just too lazy to do it. :P) so this is a good way to help people out and get what they need easier and faster.

I take my helmet off to you, sir! :smiley-sw013: