A newbie with questions

Hello everyone! I've finally decided to fulfill my boyhood (and admittedly adulthood) dreams and try out to be a trooper! And after the last 5 hours of reading the boards here, trying to learn all the new acronyms, checking out links and generally trying to get an initial trooping crash course under my belt, I've resigned to the fact I need to ask a few questions before I'm too in over my head and make some costly mistakes.

• Firstly, please know I'm dismal with anything remotely involving any kind of skill in the arts of armor making. I'm an systems admin by profession, and I have absolutely zero creative ability in just about everything but computers. So knowing that, please take pitty on me. :)
  • Second I'm a big guy. 6' 2"ish and about 215 lbs

So taking those things into account AND the fact that I can barley make a paper airplane I need your advice.

I would like to buy my armor. I know it's against the spirit of the entire trooping movement for a lot of you. You take pride in your work, and rightfully so! But I unfortunately dont have that option, so I hope you'll be forgiving :)

My major question is, I understand that SDS cant send anything to the states, however IF I had a way around that - is the armor and hero helmet worth the price, keeping in mind my lack of options and deep desire to get my trooping on. Is it 501 approved? I would hate to spend all that cash on something like this only to be stuck not being able to troop without extensive mods.

So far that and this guy on ebay (I know, I know E-BAY BAD) those are the only two options that I'm finding that I can purchase outright and fulfill this dream of mine :)

Your suggestions and opinions are welcome, and I'm sorry if this exact thing has been posted a billion times before, I honestly searched high and low for the answers but might not have seen the forest for the trees.

Hey Patrick!

Welcome to the FISD. There is alot of info here, so you'll probably need to keep reading. I know, I know.. there's SO MUCH! :) But, you'll be happy you researched more in the long run. The bad news is that the ebay armor still needs glued / strapped together, which takes just as much time as one of the approved armour makers. Maybe you can find a person with your similar height and weight that is selling a completed suit of armor. You know there's a "but" coming. haaa haaa BUT, IMO it's way better to get your armor and fit it to your body than buy a completed set. You can do this!!! :) I don't have building skills, but the glue I used was forgiving and I learned as I went.

Keep checking here for people selling a completed set of armor--------

Check here if you are considering which armor would best suit your needs---------

It's good to keep asking questions. The motto they have here is "Troopers helping Troopers." And, you are right, EBAY BAD! haaa haaaa

Take care, keep us posted with your plans! Jenny

Edited by gmrhodes13
link not working removed

Hi Patrick,

Welcome to the forums. First and foremost look at the links below to get started. Based on your height and build I would say that either AM or RT-Mod are going to be your best bets and a ton cheaper than SDS which tends to be frowned upon in these parts. For the reasons on that please just do a search on the forums for Ainsworth and draw your own conclusions on the man. I think that the SDS armor looks fine by me, though it is is expensive. That e-bay armor by the way is pretty bad and at least $2250 over what it should/could possibly go for. I just got my AM armor in the mail today and paid a fraction of that ridonkulous price lol. Anyhow, stick around and keep reading and you will ok. Everyone around here has a wealth of knowledge and are always here to help. And finally remember that the only dumb question is the one not asked.

The various types of armor and where to find them

-------

Which Armour is better for a bigger trooper? Read Here ...

------

Edited by gmrhodes13
link not working removed

Jenny - I was looking at those threads earlier and I think the RT-Mod armor would probably be best for me. I've got a big head too so that extra size in the helmet would probably be good! I've sent trooper7 from RT-Mod an email hopefully he'll get back to me soon! :)

Travis - Yeah that e-bay armor does strike me as kinda crappy lol. The SDS armor does look nice, but I haven't heard much about it (due to him not shipping to the states I assume) and the last thing I want to do is get it, and find out that I'd be showing WAY too much knee because of my height and the helmet wont fit comfortably, I find it strange none of these helmets have sizes LOL

Edited by Arcrys

Welcome Patrick,

99.9999% of the members here buy their armor, that other .0001% consists of the armor makers that are members here. So maybe you were meaning you wanted to buy an assembled set of armor? As Jenny mentioned I'd stay away from assembled kits as it's much harder to re-assemble and trim it to fit you when it's already been fit to someone else. With the tutorials here and all the build threads you'll be able to put your suit together. All it takes is thorough reading and some patience.

I don't see where you're located, but your local garrison will be instrumental as well.

Welcome Patrick,

99.9999% of the members here buy their armor, that other .0001% consists of the armor makers that are members here. So maybe you were meaning you wanted to buy an assembled set of armor? As Jenny mentioned I'd stay away from assembled kits as it's much harder to re-assemble and trim it to fit you when it's already been fit to someone else. With the tutorials here and all the build threads you'll be able to put your suit together. All it takes is thorough reading and some patience.

I don't see where you're located, but your local garrison will be instrumental as well.

That's exactly what I meant