Assembling my ATA kit...helmet trim question..and more

LePaul

After several weeks of looking at tutorials and pictures, off I go!

One question I have...cutting the bucket back portion....should I be cutting more away?

2011-10-26+17.14.18.jpg

Maybe I'm being too jittery....with the front held in place, I keep second guessing how the sides pop out and the trimming.

Ah...maybe the ears cover it all up and all will be well... (don't mind my droids in the background)

2011-10-26+17.25.44.jpg

Look sir, droids!

There is a tutorial in the How to section

HOW to: assembling ATA ABS helmet #1

Started by pandatrooper, Mar 07 2011 06:48 PM

For an ATA helmet with photos and the back does look very similar for the amount to leave.

Hope it helps :) sorry I am unsure how to link to it.

Edited by Baldenwonder

get some small rare earth magnets to hold things in place better (see below). The neck looks good for now. If you can't get your head in there when it's done ... then, well...

------

Edited by gmrhodes13
link not working removed

That's the very tutorial I am using, I just couldn't see any really good pictures of the back of the helmet.

Thanks for that photo....the sides by the tubes had me concerned....but that is exactly how mine looks now.

Once I finishing icing my fingers, back to more trimming! Those lexan scissors hurt!!

• 2 years later...

Hey LePaul russellr2d2 from the R2 Builders here. I am starting my ATA helmet too. I just buttoned the face to the cap and did a horrible rivet job. Use small dia bolts like 1/8th and use washers pulling pop rivets stinks! The ears are next and I saw some great advice here. To lay the rough cut ear on the exact spot it will go ( pencil marks). And sand down and apply it on the side again repeat several times as you sand the edges of the ear down. In time you will have it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The ATA helmet in wonky, but in a way that its supposed to be. I had the same fears about the back. There is nothing wrong with trimming multiple times, but you can never take it back if you cut too far! Remember, you will have the S trim covering some it it. Hold off final trimming until you get an idea how the front and back are coming together. Then put the trim on the back and just make sure you don't have any rough/unfinished mold sticking out. After that, its more a matter of what feels right. Remember, that is a snug fitting helmet and you will likely have to turn it sideways (so 1 ear is in front of you and 1 behind your head) and rotate it as you put it on. I'll give you the link to my build, but if you skim through the ANH build threads and the Assembly threads, you'll see quite a few recent ATA helmet builds.

http://www.whitearmor.net/forum/topic/23391-ibnzbass4-stunt-build-ata/page-4