Fitting of biceps - Having issues. Tips?

I started on my biceps tonight, and immediately had a problem.

They line up exactly. I don't have that unevenness I had with my forearms to make sizing easy. I started clipping away at the ends just to try and get it where I can size it. It hit me to stop before I do damage that I can't reverse.

Measure twice and cut once, correct? I can't get them measured without cutting them first. Please...anyone have any tips? It's just me so I don't have another set of hands.

Thanks!

Patrick

Ok, i hope my horrible paint drawings help explain it. You'll probably need someone to help you out, or you can do it yourself by taping the pieces together over and over until you have the right size you want. So get your pieces and and have them overlapping around your bicep. In my picture, think of the RED line as where the shim part ( flat part that the cover strip goes over) of the armor begins. If you have someone holding the pieces around your arm, have them adjust it to the size you want and mark how much they overlap ( this is what i'm showing in GREEN) Take the measurement from the edge of the piece to the mark, then you divide that in half ( ORANGE) and put half on each side of the bicep pieces and cut that off. That way when you put it together, you've taken equal amounts off each side of the bicep and should be a strait line.

VnKxkoX.png

I gotcha. It ended about 1.5 inches so .75 off each side. Yea.... I have small arms lol.

Last question. What's the best way to eliminate the 'evenness' of the pieces so that attach together seamlessly? I read where one trooper cut about 1/4 inch off the ends of the inside piece (basically removing the return edges). However, the picture of his biceps looked somehow different. Maybe that cut he did just made it look weird. He did the same thing on his forearms. Is this the common fix?

Edited by SmilesLikeJoker

I know what you mean, i'm just bones myself, and i should also add, which shouldn't really be a problem though is just make sure that the edges are not cut down so much that a regular size cover strip isn't bigger than the flat part of the edges. In other words, as long as a cover strip doesn't go past those red lines in my first picture. A cover strip for biceps are 15-18mm. Mine is about 16.5mm wide, and the edge of the flat part ( or red line to red line) is about 21mm wide. It could probably be a little smaller for me, but it shouldn't be smaller than 15mm from edge to edge of the red lines. Ideally the cover strips are the exact width from edge to edge of the red line i would say. I just like the way it looks when the edges are a little outside the cover strip. As for what you're asking, since you're talking about return edge, the parts that turn towards the body, the biceps are kind of weird depending on which kit you have. I have an older ATA kit, the right bicep has a return edge while the left one does not.

1S4Bi6l.jpg left

https://i.imgur.com/xOSPPyw.jpg right

For the fore arms, the return edge next to the wrist is taken completely off which is optional, but required for centurion status. Or the other thing that you might be asking about is some people will take off the return edges on the inside of their joints. This is usually seen on the back sides of the calves and thighs to keep the armor from scratching the wearer. Were the arms you saw something like these legs? ---------

Yea.... your biceps are totally different from mine. You look like you have some pretty defined trimming areas, and my circle indents are a lot more noticeable. Both my inner pieces are just like the letter C w/no defined trimming area and are the same for left and right. I think my kit is FX. I got it second hand pretty cheap.

vgOEDmO.jpg

N0PmmQ8.jpg

You have an AM kit. If youre skinny enough, trim the backs of the biceps first like in my AM build thread. Theres a ridge on the side of each side of the biceps. Leave 8mm or so and snap a straight line. Then size the inner bicep.

Quick update.

Got the biceps measured and cut. I was slightly off on my measures and made just a tad too snug (at least in the final test fit). I pretty sure that when I glue/velcro, it will turn out fine though. What's funny was afterward I decided to take another look at my forearms. Yep....way way to loose. Adjusted them and now they fit a lot better. Other than minor sanding/cleaning, biceps and forearms are ready for final assembly. :smiley-sw013:

Time to start looking at chins and thighs. Wish me luck!