paint clumping

I'm almost done with my painting and while i was doing my back piece this started to happen in these 2 little spots. This happened before just a little bit in the cap of the thermal detonator, thankfully it just sanded right off but so my question is what causes the paint to do this? I don't think its left over soap and I don't think its dirt. I sand my pieces, then wash them with lava soap, I then put on a coat of primer, sand and wash off with water. So this is going on with the rustoleum gloss white. Any idea why its clumping up like this?

rrOhXD5.jpg

mGvWRT8.jpg

Paint will "wrinkle" when it forms a skin over the base coat/primer of which it is applied. This can happen for many reasons such as the top of the paint coat drying faster than the bottom, too thick of an application of the paint, paint that is applied to a primed surface in which the primer was not allowed to fully dry. It can also occur when paint is applied to extremely hot or cool surfaces or durring high humidity. Dirt or wax surfaces can also cause the paint to wrinkle. To avoid these situations, sand down the affected areas and apply a new coat of primer. Allow the primer to fully dry and repaint using nice even, light coats.

Read more: http://wiki.answers.com/Q/What_causes_paint_to_wrinkle#ixzz1T4mhDGMU

Well, thankfully its just those 2 spots. The primer was more than dry, it had been sitting for a few days before I sanded it and washed with water today, I'm thinking maybe it was a little water that hadn't dried yet. I dry off my pieces with a towel then let them sit for a little while before painting. Don't think it was too hot or cold either since I'm painting inside. Thanks for the info though guys, I couldn't quite find the right word for it and wrinkle is exactly what I was looking for.

What did you prime with? Often thicker areas of spray paint will wrinkle if the primer doesn't have enough 'grip' ie: if the primer used is a satin finish etc. This could also happen if you were too thorough with sanding your primer coat. Try sanding the primer by 'dabbing' it with a coarse paper rather than 'rubbing'. This will give good tooth to the primer coat. This wrinkling can also occur if you hold the can too close and air pressure from the nozzle, combined with heavier paint knocks air bubbles into the paint layer. I have to say in this case it doesn't look bad visually, but it's likely that it might cause chipping or peeling somewhere down the line. Yes it wastes more spray paint but try to keep the can a good 50cm away from the surfaces as opposed to the 20 or so suggested on the can.

Edited by ZeroRoom

I used some rustoleum painters touch primer and had sanded it down with 320 grit. I did a little more painting, i'm thinking i might of had it a little to close and put too much paint in those spots.