Butt plate - second snap - how!?

Ok, so for Centurion there needs to be two male snap tabs present on the crotch tab of the butt plate. The first one was easy enough, as my snap pliers could reach that hole.

The second tab, however, is causing me problems because my pliers don't reach that far. I have a snap setter kit that I got from Tandy, but when I tried using that I got some wonky results (sorry in advance for the blurry picture):

5947748059_751b3af3a8_b.jpg

The one on the right is one I set with my pliers, and looks like what I already have installed on the butt plate. On the left you see two attempts with the "hammer and anvil" snap setter kit. As you can see (although the blurriness makes it difficult), the back of the snaps on the left are pushed out/inverted, and the connection in the snap is poor to say the least.

Is there another way to get that snap on there where it will look similar to the first one? I know it's not terribly important (if someone is that close to me, looking at that section of my armor, I've got bigger problems than the snaps matching!), but I am shooting as close to perfection as I can get.

Thanks in advance, as always!

Personally, as long as it holds (and that may be a different issue), I'd leave it as-is. Like you said, if someone is looking that closely at your butt/crotch to notice, you've got a whole 'nother set of issues. :blink:

Personally, as long as it holds (and that may be a different issue), I'd leave it as-is. Like you said, if someone is looking that closely at your butt/crotch to notice, you've got a whole 'nother set of issues. :blink:

I used to the tool, not my pliers...your results look fine. That, or get a more precise hammer swing?

Once you've set the snap using the concave side... you have to flip the anvil over and use the "flat" side to seat the snap to make it flush like the first one. It's that simple. ;)

Is the problem that when you crush it with the anvil it doesn't go straight down? It kind of shifts off the side? I would suggest using a shorter eyelet.

Once you've set the snap using the concave side... you have to flip the anvil over and use the "flat" side to seat the snap to make it flush like the first one. It's that simple. ;)

:0Lighten:

I never thought of that. I also have the same bowing with one of my crotch snaps - I'll definitely give that a shot. :duim:

Thanks for all the help everyone! I think Dan was onto something (that also fed into Tray's point) that I just need a better hammer swing, as it was shifting things to the side. Then using James' suggestion I was able to flatten the other side better. It's not perfect, but it's close enough.