Trimming the legs

Eroach

At the weekend I dug out the pieces to do the legs, after watching Daves tutorials, I know he said that there can be a lot of trimming involved, but when I got my pieces out, it seemed that they were rather reluctant to fit, and there seemed to be an over amount of trimming needed to be done.

So instead of starting it, and messing things up I decided to get some pictures, to see if others have come across the same thing and managed ok.

-----

The two pieces here don't seem to fit together as well as I had thought, it seems that the emboss has causing the top piece to rise above, which causes a hole.

Has anyone any good advice on the way to go about trimming these down?

Cheers

Edited by gmrhodes13
link not working, removed gmrhodes13 2020

I looks like FX. I just finished my legs and had the same problems.

I ended up glueing the fronts, because they matched up best, then taped the backs together, checked the fit 10 times, marked off where it all had to be trimmed.. including the raised 'lip', then trimmed and glued the backs.

It took the better part of 2 days to get them looking like they were matched.

Lynch

Yeah its an FX kit.

Pat, did you straight trim it across to it fell inline with the contour, or did you try and curve the trimming as to leave the V shape at the top of the leg ? I have matched up the details on the inside so that the curve before the 'boarder' part has matched up, if I was to move one so that it fitted better, the symmetry would be pretty screwed up, and it would be quite noticeable.

Also with the lip, did you just remove it or try trimming round that section?

On a happier note, My under armour arrived today, and even tho I only have the arm pieces done im getting all excited about it (very) slowly coming together :P

Yeah its an FX kit.

Pat, did you straight trim it across to it fell inline with the contour, or did you try and curve the trimming as to leave the V shape at the top of the leg ? I have matched up the details on the inside so that the curve before the 'boarder' part has matched up, if I was to move one so that it fitted better, the symmetry would be pretty screwed up, and it would be quite noticeable.

Also with the lip, did you just remove it or try trimming round that section?

On a happier note, My under armour arrived today, and even tho I only have the arm pieces done im getting all excited about it (very) slowly coming together :P

I trimmed it to leave the V shape at the front top. Worry about the symmetry first, the smaller issues can be fixed trimming or filing.

On the back, where there is that obtrusive lip, I removed just enough so the seam is flat, and the lip butts against the seam.

Looks like I'm just one step ahead of you in building my armor. I have everything built, I'm just fitting it now.

had a look at the leg pieces again and still not sure how to trim. as trimming one side to the correct size means losing the v completely.

had a look at some pics on line and have noticed that some people seam to have trimmed the back from the bottom of the v round so there is no v, others seem to have a shallower v. im not too sure if this is because of trimming or due to they have a different type of armour.

would it be possible for someone to post pics of you legs for some reference on what we should trim it to look like.