In the Interests of Screen Accuracy

Marv

I have a bit of a quandrie.

I'm looking to build an E-11 using screen acurate parts.

The issue I have is this: On the varient seen here:

it uses an M38 but with the embosses no 7 on the side.

The M38 has embossed no, but my M40 has no 7.

My question is how relevant to the scope selection is the type of scope, i.e. M38 or M40 and the relevance of the numbering on the side?

Its not a bad position to be in but am looking to guage opinion.

Mr Allinger, at approx. 50 seconds, says that the scope is a new addition as part of the restoration and was not part of the on screen E-11 so I wouldn't worry too much.

Edited by SamJ

Now that I've sussed how to link to images thought I'd post my little collection

from Top to bottom M47-A2, M40, and my two M38s

----------

Edited by gmrhodes13
link removed no longer working

The M47A2 and M38 (top) are shown with their mounts these are simply unscrewed (if you note the two scopes are mounted in opposite directions). The M38 at the bottom could still be attached to a rail, but with a little metal working could be repaired fully.

The A2s are wrong shaped, they need the "flat part" (where lighting was/is added) bondoed and sanded.

The brasscolored needs it´s frontfeet milled down, the same with it´s other brass-humps on it´s belly.

And the No. 4 has a destroid rear feet, needs bondo and sanding, too.

Sure, all can be used, one way or another. Bondo and sanding is easy, i could mill the feet down if it was mine - but all that would simulate a shape they didn´t had originally, the M40 is the one with the real shape. If i would be you and have to choose between them, the decision would be easy: First and only winner is the "M40", then long nothing, then fixing the 2 M38. The A2 i would only consider after a loooong search for a better matching variant without success (that´s why they are that cheap, usually not over 50-60$).

But as you have the M40 already ........ Bingo. :D