Question about shims

Kunra

i have had a quick look at the leg pieces and i will need shims for them <_< , i am just wondering how i install the shims?

looking at the first couple of daves garage vids i can see how he makes the leg pieces, but i am unsure if there would be enough room to add the shims after glueing or if i would need to Velcro in the shims before i start glueing.

also i saw in other threads about using the belt plastic to make shims from but have been unable to track down any leather or canvas to replace it with, so am hesitant to use it, any idea where to get some sheets of plastic or where to get the leather/canvas? i have tried my local diy shops for the plastic and all they have are drain pipes so they are not suitable, and my local cloth shop only has canvas that i would need about 6 layers sewn together to get the correct thickness.

Well like u mentioned there are many way to go with "Shims" i would strongly suggest to do your Leg pieces last, this way u will have time to work on the rest of your armor and not get frustrated , and look at what other ppl did and suggest . I would get in contact with your local 501st memebers for help. I was lucky nuff not to need shims ( tight fit but works really good)

hope that helps i will look for other posts.

Kunra said:
i have had a quick look at the leg pieces and i will need shims for them <_< , i am just wondering how i install the shims?

looking at the first couple of daves garage vids i can see how he makes the leg pieces, but i am unsure if there would be enough room to add the shims after glueing or if i would need to Velcro in the shims before i start glueing.

I need shims in my calves, and I used velcro since I also loan out my armor for some troops and need to be able to pull the shims out. I put velcro in the back seam of both calf pieces, and also on the shim piece. You just have to match up the correct velcro facing the correct way, so you can seal the calf piece in the back with or without the shims. If you want to glue the shim, you can, but make sure there is enough overlap width in the shim to allow an area to seal with the glue. I suggest fitting everything up with just tape to make sure the shims are cut correctly before gluing. You could use a card board shim first to make sure the measurements are correct before you cut the ABS for the shim. You will likely find that you need to taper the calf shim depending on the contour of your leg. (It will likely be narrower near the ankle then at the top.)

The thighs would be the same, except less tapering is required.

also i saw in other threads about using the belt plastic to make shims from but have been unable to track down any leather or canvas to replace it with, so am hesitant to use it, any idea where to get some sheets of plastic or where to get the leather/canvas? i have tried my local diy shops for the plastic and all they have are drain pipes so they are not suitable, and my local cloth shop only has canvas that i would need about 6 layers sewn together to get the correct thickness.

Check out firebladejedi in the UK. He makes awesome canvas belts! Here is the link for his thread:

-----

Edited by gmrhodes13
link not working, removed gmrhodes13 2020