Thigh cover strip gaps

Either everyone here is really smart or I am really dumb! For the past six months I have reasearched every available build thread to get ready for starting my AP kit. I built the helmet. That went O.K and I am fairly pleased with that. I am in the process of building the thighs and I don't think I could have messed them up any more if I tried. Is it O.K to run a bit of sillicone sealant down the sides of my cover strips just to fill in the gaps as I have'nt been able to get them to sit as flush as I would have liked? I build motorbikes and up until now I thought that sometimes that proved difficult but building this armour is the most tricky thing I have ever done. I think I'm going to have to forget tthe idea of building a perfect set of armour and just do the best I can. I just hope it will be good enough. Sorry, rant over. :6:

Either everyone here is really smart or I am really dumb! For the past six months I have reasearched every available build thread to get ready for starting my AP kit. I built the helmet. That went O.K and I am fairly pleased with that. I am in the process of building the thighs and I don't think I could have messed them up any more if I tried. Is it O.K to run a bit of sillicone sealant down the sides of my cover strips just to fill in the gaps as I have'nt been able to get them to sit as flush as I would have liked? I build motorbikes and up until now I thought that sometimes that proved difficult but building this armour is the most tricky thing I have ever done. I think I'm going to have to forget tthe idea of building a perfect set of armour and just do the best I can. I just hope it will be good enough. Sorry, rant over. :6:

I am also in the process of building(hopefully finish in the next week or two) my first kit, and it has been alot more difficult than I thought it would be. I even got so frustrated that I took about 2 weeks and didn't touch any of it, to keep from going insane. I have learned the hard way to take your time, and don't worry about getting it absolutely perfect (mine certainly wont be)

Sorry I couldn't help with your question, but I thought I would comment anyway.

Edited by Wiggleplum

Thanks Michael. It's good to know that I'm not the only one to feel the frustration. When you see other peoples armour here you think to yourself how perfect it looks and when you come to do your own you start to realize that it won't look half as good. Hopefully when it's done it will be a 'more than the sum of it's parts' type thing.

Thanks Michael. It's good to know that I'm not the only one to feel the frustration. When you see other peoples armour here you think to yourself how perfect it looks and when you come to do your own you start to realize that it won't look half as good. Hopefully when it's done it will be a 'more than the sum of it's parts' type thing.

Yeah, I wanted to get mine perfect in the beginning like most of the armor on here. But it was driving me crazy, and i wasn't enjoying putting the kit together which is part of the reason I got it. Now I just take my time and try to have fun, and I keep reminding myself that the originals were certainly not perfect, and what I manage to get together will probably look better, so no use fretting over it.

:D:dancing-trooper:

Edited by Wiggleplum

Did you follow the instructions here? Are you using the proper tools?

------

If you used E6000 for assembly, you should be able to remove the cover strip by using a hobby knife to cut through the glue and pry the strip off.

One thing I find that helps is to sand the seam down when the 2 halves are joined to flatten it diwm a bit before gluing the strip on. It also roughens up the surface for gluing.

Edited by gmrhodes13
link not working, removed gmrhodes13 2020

Hi Terry. I have those instructions saved and have been following them and I have all the tools. I guess I'm just not very good. The gaps are not massive but I just thought that sillicone would make them look neater than they are.

Many thanks.

Rob.

O.K here they are. Please don't laugh. I know I messed up bad. The worst part being the first picture. Do you still think it will bw good enough???????

-----

Edited by gmrhodes13
link not working, removed gmrhodes13 2020

On 3/3/2011 at 2:06 AM, matt black said:

O.K here they are. Please don't laugh. I know I messed up bad. The worst part being the first picture. Do you still think it will bw good enough???????

It looks great to me, actually might be better than mine lol

Great job! You're worried over nothing. I'm working on my TD armor now and have small gaps between my finishing strips and the armor. I'll be using silicone to fill those gaps too.

Thank you so much guys. You don't know how relieved I am. I know that they are by no means perfect but it's great to know I don't have to scrap them. I used E6000 so I know I could remove the strips but its how I trimmed the armour that's the problem not the strip it's self. I did'nt leave the 10mm on the raised part so it's made the strip sit wonky if that makes sence.

Many thanks again.