Painting a lid

ECOLI

Hello,

So I made the leap I ordered an AP kit with a lid and am trying to get myself in order for my kit to come in which could be some time. Anyway I was curious about how people are painting your lids i.e. a good tutorial primarily for the frown area, Vocoder, ear pieces etc. My concern is after painting how do you guys return it to the gloss look. I have heard of spray painting, airbrushing, and just plain hand painting. Can all these methods be brought back to a glossy look and if so what is a good method to do so? I am not too familiar with wet sanding etc.

you can apply gloss model paints to the vocoder/traps with a brush to get an nice glossy look, here is a color guide------you dont need to paint the whole helmet as AP is already glossy ABS so wet sanding is not necessary ;)

Edited by gmrhodes13
link not working, removed gmrhodes13 2020

After you are finished Assembling and painting the details of your AP lid, you can protect the ABS and paint by using a UV protected car wax.

The car wax will not only give a lustre, but it will also help protect the ABS and painted details from becoming yellowed or faded. :smiley-sw013:

Just a tip.. ;)

If you want the best sharpest lines, use what pro-painters use when they are masking off for doing pin striping and other design work for automobile and bike paint.

It is a rubberized, very flexible. striping tape. You can only get this at pro-paint shops, like Sherwin Williams or DuPont. You will not find this style of tape at your hardware/home improvement store or any automotive supply store, like Pep Boys, Advanced Auto, etc.

The tape is like rubber and keeps paint from bleeding through it, and has a very clean edge to give a pro finish. This tape comes in widths from 1/16" to 1".

BTW, this is not the pin striping decals that self adheres to the vehicle.

Here is a couple of pix of one of the rolls that I have (width 1/4"):

T4B4E4v.jpg

LC6FvZR.jpg

Just look up you local pro-paint stores in your area and ask them about the tape.