Humbrol No5

What do you guys think of the new modern shade of No 5?

I personally think it's now too dark but I'm sure I'm heard folk saying it's too light?

It doesn't match some of the LFL lids and screen shots anymore that's for sure

What do you guys think?

John

Yeah I've heard that, but I did stir it lots and used a little bearing inside the tin.

I think it's too dark. I'm just confused as I'm sure I've heard people say they're is too light so they've added black :blink:

If you look at the films or LFL lids etc, they're much lighter than what you get with no5 today

I'm surprised more people haven't commented on this?

Yeah I've heard that, but I did stir it lots and used a little bearing inside the tin.

I think it's too dark. I'm just confused as I'm sure I've heard people say they're is too light so they've added black :blink:

If you look at the films or LFL lids etc, they're much lighter than what you get with no5 today

I'm surprised more people haven't commented on this?

Yep, know what you mean. I had to repaint twice after tossing in a couple of nuts to shake it with.

I spoke to a Humbrol distributor last year.

They had to change their formulations due to regulations. He mentioned that some of the previous chemicals / additives used were considered hazardous, and had to be changed. I remember back in the day they used to have lead in paint (for sign painting industry) to make it more opaque. You obviously can't have that anymore!

They changed the content, and that has affected the consistency (runny-ness) opacity, and hue. The distributor said it changed "slightly" but the sales rep says it's changed quite a bit and he's had customers come back and complain about it.

I had bought some and tried to use it for my helmets, but I don't use it anymore. The grey took a week to dry, it was thin and runny and in my case was too light. I ended up switching to Testors 1138 grey. Might not be 100% accurate, but it's way more usable.

I also find the Humbrol #5 looks a bit too dark compared to what is seen on screen, the publicity shots and original helmets. But could it be due to strong studio lights, or, with the original helmets, 30 years of aging? What, if anything, happens to enamel paint when it ages?

• 4 weeks later...