AM Shin problems

I first noticed the issue when working w/ a fellow trooper on his white AM kit, and didn't think i would have problem w/ my shins because my calves are a bit smaller than his... i was wrong.

The problem being that it seems like the shins are extremely tight front to back, and much wider side to side. Imagine if someoen had a set of shins, laid them on their back, and squashed them, thats what it feels like. But if i try to make them bigger, it just makes them wider, the front to back is still tight and i cant even get it over my shoe!

The only fix i can think is to try to heat them up and mold them to fit my calves better... but that scares the crap out of me (had a bad experience w/ a heat gun!)

I was just wondering if this was a common problem amongst AM builders, or no? Maybe i just have stupid muscular calves.

I've also noticed that the AM shins seem to have more width than depth, I suspect that's the reason why I can't seem to keep mine from wanting to rotate. Still, I don't have any problem keeping them closed, and I don't quite know what you mean by you not being able to get it over your shoe.

Terry (Pandatrooper) is good at figuring out solutions to problems like this, hopefully he'll weigh in soon. :)

The problem with the AM moulds is that they have been made wider and not necessarily bigger. When the moulds were sculpted, they should have made bigger and wider. Instead, they just added material under the moulds making them wider which doesn't work out, so I can see why you are having problems.

Edited by troopermaster

The problem with the AM moulds is that they have been made wider and not necessarily bigger. When the moulds were sculpted, they should have made bigger and wider. Instead, they just added material under the moulds making them wider which doesn't work out, so I can see why you are having problems.

yes that is the exact problem.

my legs aren't that big.... i shouldn't be having the problem. I had a pair of FX shins that fit great... but these AM shins are too tight around the ankle (front to back) and wont slide over my boots. And i even dremel'd off the entire return edge to see if that little space would help.

If this were a white kit, i would just go heat the hell out of em and try to reshape them cause i could always just go buy some ATA shins or some other replacements.. but its black abs, i dont know of anywhere that sells them in pieces =/

Troopermaster nailed it on the head. AM made the forming bucks taller which made the shins wider, but not "deeper". The shins have a very square profile to them, as opposed to round or oval shaped.

One thing I did (and I have skinny legs already but the shape wasn't working for me) is close the shin up, and run some tape on the back closure, to make it 1 solid "piece". Here's a diagram to describe what I did.

5167862342_5d9e3a41b8_z.jpg

Using a heat gun, slowly warm up the area on one side of the front cover strip (Area indicated in RED) from the instep to about 6 inches up the shin.

Since the shin is taped together, squeeze the shin while heating / moving the gun to bend this sharp square profile corner, while at the same time straightening / relaxing the side of the shin (green directional arrows). Repeat this on all 4 "corners" of the shin. What you're essentially doing is reforming the square profile, into a longer / deeper oval profile.

The key is to use low heat, keep the heat gun moving, and slowly work each corner until it's slightly soft, then reshape it. Make sure it cools before moving onto the next corner.

I was able to do this to the whole shin, and rework the shape so that the back closes / matches up nicely, and had enough length to accommodate my ankles. As mentioned, I would trim some of the return edge off around the ankle too, it's not really noticeable and it helps when re-shaping.

I know this is a lot of work, but unfortunately if have this issue, this is one of the few ways I can think of that will help alleviate it.

• 2 weeks later...